Can you sit both Chemistry A and Chemistry B (Salters)? Watch

TheSalman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I am a private candidate and saw that there are two different
Chemistry A levels. I didn't originally do A Levels, but am trying to take up a few to increase my competitivity for GEM, but that's another story.

Since Chemistry and Biology are my strong suit, I was wondering if I could do both A levels Chemistry specs and also the A level in Biology or does it not work like that, and you can only do the A-spec or B (Salters) spec?

Thanks for any responses, sorry if I sound confused!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by TheSalman)
I am a private candidate and saw that there are two different
Chemistry A levels. I didn't originally do A Levels, but am trying to take up a few to increase my competitivity for GEM, but that's another story.

Since Chemistry and Biology are my strong suit, I was wondering if I could do both A levels Chemistry specs and also the A level in Biology or does it not work like that, and you can only do the A-spec or B (Salters) spec?

Thanks for any responses, sorry if I sound confused!
I'm not sure whether it's technically possible but no CV or application is going to look better by saying you have 2 A Levels in Chemistry instead of 1. It's going to be a lot more work for very little reward and I can't honestly see how it would be a good use of your time.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
elwesannabelle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
You can’t do both. Pick A though because salters is so much harder!
TheSalman
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
I'm not sure whether it's technically possible but no CV or application is going to look better by saying you have 2 A Levels in Chemistry instead of 1. It's going to be a lot more work for very little reward and I can't honestly see how it would be a good use of your time.
Thanks for the reply. So, just to confirm, even if I do apply for any GEM courses requiring A Levels, they'll probably only look at one of the Chemistry A Levels, and require the other A Levels in different subjects (i.e. Biology, Maths)? Thanks!
TheSalman
Rep:
?
(Original post by elwesannabelle)
You can’t do both. Pick A though because salters is so much harder!
Even as a private/external candidate? If that is the case, I'm more inclined to choose Chemistry A, not Chemistry B (Salters). Thanks!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by TheSalman)
Thanks for the reply. So, just to confirm, even if I do apply for any GEM courses requiring A Levels, they'll probably only look at one of the Chemistry A Levels, and require the other A Levels in different subjects (i.e. Biology, Maths)? Thanks!
Correct.
2childmum!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The exams are run at the same time so that it isn't possible to take more than one exam in the same subject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads