Failed MA Degree - Next Steps? Watch

MoreTeaVicar?
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

Received results back from final portfolio (equivalent to a dissertation, I suppose) for my two year MA degree - marked as a fail.

Due to a series of extenuating circumstances (mostly mental health issues stemming from my mum dying at the end of the first year of the course and then witnessing sexual assault within the family), I had an awful time on the course.

Mental health issues aside, I also had a poor support experience during the professional placement I was on for the final year of the degree, which I believe has led to me not being able to fully demonstrate my ability.

I have read about appeals processes at this university, but I don't think I 'have a leg to stand on', as the mark is deemed an academic judgement which is irrefutable. However, I still don't necessarily agree that the mark is a fair judgement of me - I got good results throughout the first year.

Should I just accept this as a failure on my behalf and resubmit as best I can (accepting the risk that I will still fail), or would it still be worth putting an appeal together?

Cheers
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Extenuating circumstances procedure due to bereavement and mental health. Assuming you saw the doctor etc.
You could also see if you can transfer year 1 marks to another uni.

If you wnat to stay then ask to resit they year.

Talk to tutor and student advisor at uni.

You can also try CPR claim to student finance to get the financing back assuming you used the postgrad loan.

They want evidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads