uni degree options Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hello everyone, i’m about to go into my 2nd and final year of college this september, i’m studying biology,chemistry,psychology, my teacher said that my options because of what i chose when it comes to applying for uni are limited, apparently i can only apply for things such as biology,psychology,nursing degree so i’m wondering if this is true or what are the options for a degree i have?? i definitely don’t want to do psychology so please help me with what degree i can apply for with biology and chemistry, thank you all
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's easier to list the subjects you can't potentially apply to, than what you can (grades notwithstanding).

You wouldn't be able to apply for direct entry to engineering, physics, maths, computer science, or economics, as you lack maths and/or physics; however, these courses are widely available with a foundation year for those who haven't taken those subjects to A-level. You also wouldn't be able to apply to any courses starting a language at post A-level standard (this is mainly French, since most other languages are available ab initio; however, many such courses prefer you to have a language background). You wouldn't be able to apply to history or English literature courses, as they normally require those subjects to A-level, respectively. Some geography courses require A-level Geography, but this varies.

Otherwise, you can apply to virtually any course except those. You could apply to any bioscience course, the majority of chemistry courses, more or less, except Cambridge NatSci, any medicine/dentistry/vet med courses (except, again, Cambridge) and any of the huge number of courses with no specific requirements. Such courses include e.g. law, philosophy, anthropology, sociology, human sciences, archaeology, politics, etc, etc....

For courses directly relating to your biology and chemistry background, look at various bioscience, chemistry, and clinical (i.e. medicine/vet med/dentistry, as well as allied health professions) courses and see what appeals. Earth science related courses can also incorporate elements of those subjects applied to different topics, which may be of interest (and are very relevant in terms of current events and policy/research focuses).

I've also requested this thread be moved to the Applications & UCAS forum, as it is not a relationships post - please do not make posts in the wrong section to make use of the anon feature when it is unnecessary.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 week ago
rjckk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your college only 2 years?
How old are you now?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Yeah it is all colleges and sixth forms are 2 years? I’m 17
(Original post by rjckk)
How old are you now?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rjckk)
How old are you now?
In the UK "college" refers to the final two years of high school normally, or more broadly 16-19 education. University study is not referred to as "college" here (unlike in the US). There is a second meaning of college here, pertaining to the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge specifically, but in general (and in the context of this thread) it is as above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads