2:1 in a relevant module but a 1st overall - Oxbridge chances? Watch

Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I had 3 back-to-back final exams and somewhat stupidly neglected the one that has turned out will be most relevant to my MPhil application to the Egyptology courses at Oxford and Cambridge. The course focuses half on language and I scored a 66 in advanced translation, although I did make up for it with a 71 in grammar. I scored a 1st in all other modules except 1 throughout my degree, with marks up to 97, and a 77 in my dissertation (and I want to continue with this area of research for my MPhil); however, is there no point now I have scored my lowest mark in a module that half the course is based on?
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Edminzodo)
It'll be fine, there are loads of more important things to consider in the overall application.
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It'll be fine, there are loads of more important things to consider in the overall application.
Thanks, I was rejected this year so hoping that having my grades in hand will help. I was invited to interview but I don't think my research proposal was developed enough.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You got good 2:1 in a relevant module, including a first in the grammar section, as well as, from the sounds of it, a very high first overall. While applying to a, lets be realistic, fairly niche and not exactly enormously popular subject - what is the concern? You are pretty well qualified from the sounds of it, and provided you can demonstrate interest in this particular area it seems unlikely you wouldn't have as much chance as any other applicant.
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You got good 2:1 in a relevant module, including a first in the grammar section, as well as, from the sounds of it, a very high first overall. While applying to a, lets be realistic, fairly niche and not exactly enormously popular subject - what is the concern? You are pretty well qualified from the sounds of it, and provided you can demonstrate interest in this particular area it seems unlikely you wouldn't have as much chance as any other applicant.
Thanks, I actually only got a 73 overall so not particularly high. The course is actually fairly competitive (3 applicants per place or so), and I can't self-fund, plus I got rejected this year. I guess as long as I make up for it with the proposal (and possibly 2 conferences and a publication under my belt by then) I should have a decent chance.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks, I actually only got a 73 overall so not particularly high. The course is actually fairly competitive (3 applicants per place or so), and I can't self-fund, plus I got rejected this year. I guess as long as I make up for it with the proposal (and possibly 2 conferences and a publication under my belt by then) I should have a decent chance.
Ah, the funding could confound things, as I understand that can make things considerably more competitive. You sound like a pretty strong applicant on paper, so I guess the proposal will be the key thing.

Maybe they just had an unusually strong cohort of applicants this year? I would be very surprised if things hinged purely on a single taught module you did in undergrad (presumably), as opposed to e.g. concerns over the proposal or limited funding available (which is understandable since funding in the humanities is pretty tough to come across from what I hear).
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Work on your proposal, work some more, and don't finish till you have it perfected.
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Ah, the funding could confound things, as I understand that can make things considerably more competitive. You sound like a pretty strong applicant on paper, so I guess the proposal will be the key thing.

Maybe they just had an unusually strong cohort of applicants this year? I would be very surprised if things hinged purely on a single taught module you did in undergrad (presumably), as opposed to e.g. concerns over the proposal or limited funding available (which is understandable since funding in the humanities is pretty tough to come across from what I hear).
Yeah, there was no subject specific funding on offer last year so I had to apply for a bunch of worldwide and humanities wide grants which I didn't get. Thanks, you have made me feel a bit more optimistic.

(Original post by Notoriety)
Work on your proposal, work some more, and don't finish till you have it perfected.
This is certainly the lesson I have learnt! Any tips?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads