The Student Room Group

Alevel chemistry difficulty

For A-levels, I am wanting to study Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Lit (still debating about this one) but I want to know if A-level chemistry is heavy in maths.
Maths is not my strong point and never has been but I am hoping to get at least a 6 in maths and a 9 in chemistry. I know that people say there is a massive difference between A-levels and GCSEs but I am unsure as to whether it will be too difficult for me.
Ideally I would like to study something like medicine or dietetics at university so chemistry would be very useful.
(edited 4 years ago)
it is quite heavy in maths, i won't lie. especially a2. but some of it isn't scary maths, id have a look at the online specification to see if it;s for you or a textbook. speak to your teachers
Firstly, in your case I would say to choose only three A levels. Don't unnecessarily add to the workload because you'll regret it two years down the line.

Secondly, the maths in chemistry isn't too difficult conceptually, but it is in every nook and cranny of the subject. The majority of the maths is algebra related, and a lot of it doesn't really go beyond high level GCSE content. I'm sure with practice you'll become comfortable with it.
Original post by lydia.wordy
For A-levels, I am wanting to study Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English Lit (still debating about this one) but I want to know if A-level chemistry is heavy in maths.
Maths is not my strong point and never has been but I am hoping to get at least a 6 in maths and a 9 in chemistry. I know that people say there is a massive difference between A-levels and GCSEs but I am unsure as to whether it will be too difficult for me.
Ideally I would like to study something like medicine or dietetics at university so chemistry would be very useful.

I SUCKED AT MATHS AND DID OK (i think) AT A- LEVEL CHEM. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME BUT YOU WILL BE FINE.

soz for the all caps i needed to say it.

Also I agree that 4 a levels are unnecessary. Schools want you to do it because they get extra funding, but universities won't prioritise you over another person because you have an extra a-level. Put it this way, they want quality not quantity. If you do 4 it will most likely have a deterimental effect on your overall grades because it is so much work.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest