The Student Room Group

Is it possible to apply to NatSci Cambridge with only Maths and Biology A levels?

I do A level Maths Biology Art and Furhter maths AS, as well as having done an AS in design, I didn’t know what area i wanted to study at uni so i have quite a random range, but if i wanted to go down the purely biological route is here any point in applying? I know most people do at least three sciences but i talked to multiple admissions tutors and they said to give it a go, not sure how genuine it was...
I got 9s in all sciences at GCSE and currently predicted two A* and an A in art.

Was wondering if there is any point in applying to Cambridge which i prefer or just chose a biological course at Oxford where i know people have done only two sciences to get in.
You can, but you will be limited in your choice of year 1 modules to the biological subjects. If you're predicted A* in both maths and biology, you should be fine. Go for it!
I think without chemistry you might be at a disadvantage applying to Cambridge for NatSci...@Doones might be able to offer more insight into that?

If you take A-level Chemistry in a gap year then Cambridge might be an option, but without it you would have a more limited range of options in first year, and hence second year and beyond, and you might even find some of those options more challenging without some background in either chemistry or physics (e.g. materials science, earth sciences).
Reply 3
Yes, thanks fo that, so possibly it is better to just apply for bio at oxford?
Original post by artful_lounger
I think without chemistry you might be at a disadvantage applying to Cambridge for NatSci...@Doones might be able to offer more insight into that?

If you take A-level Chemistry in a gap year then Cambridge might be an option, but without it you would have a more limited range of options in first year, and hence second year and beyond, and you might even find some of those options more challenging without some background in either chemistry or physics (e.g. materials science, earth sciences).
Original post by yana12345
Yes, thanks fo that, so possibly it is better to just apply for bio at oxford?

Provided that biology is your main interest anyway, I'd say it would be the better option. Bear in mind the biology course at Oxford is also changing, to include an integrated masters year (becoming an MBiol, I believe) - Cambridge currently only has a 4th year for biochemistry and systems biology (i.e. -omics) in the biological regime, so that's a bonus :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
yes it's definitely possible, though i would email the admissions tutor of the college you intend to apply to just for definitive confirmation of how competitive/disadvantaged you may be, and definitely believe what you have heard so far from the colleges, they know what they're talking about when it comes to their own admissions. your options in first year would be limited to the three biology modules or two bio plus earth sciences but that is plenty so if you think this is the course and university for you, you should definitely put in an application
Original post by artful_lounger

really in terms of disadvantage of not having chemistry it is likely to vary highly by college with what they like to see from applicants, in terms of options while op could not take materials (requires one of chem/phys) having taken the earth sciences 1A course this year im confident op would not be significantly disadvantaged with just bio - however, one of the bio options, biology of cells, does strongly recommend having chemistry a level so actually the advised subject choice would be evolution and behaviour, physiology of organisms and earth sciences - if this doesn't appeal then i would suggest the oxford course would suit better. however, if op is interested in whole organism biology, particularly evolutionary or ecology then this is one of the best courses in the world and is worth giving a shot

Quick Reply