The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Mrs Dubose represents the Old South and it's values. I'm trying to think of a specific quote, but there is something about a certain type of flower, i forget its name, and this also represents the Old South. Miss Maudie is the more liberal side of the South.
AATTMM
Mrs Dubose represents the Old South and it's values. I'm trying to think of a specific quote, but there is something about a certain type of flower, i forget its name, and this also represents the Old South. Miss Maudie is the more liberal side of the South.

Ah yes, the camellias (sp!?)... GCSE all seems so long ago now, but I talked in my exam about how they're symbols of the prejudice of the Old South (ie. of Mrs Dubose): so when Jem knocks all of the heads off of them after she's insulted Atticus it's really him lashing out at the prejudices of society, which makes Mrs D's comment about his failure - that he'd "know to pull them up by the roots next time", so they wouldn't grow back - very, very telling.

I agree with AATTMM on Maudie - try to find the part when some religious fanatics go past and have a conversation with her on the way to court. Her response pretty much sums her up there, I think.

ZarathustraX

Latest

Trending

Trending