first car Watch

Pany5689
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
what’s a reasonable amount of money to spend on a first car?
classic3296
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pany5689)
what’s a reasonable amount of money to spend on a first car?
Depends on what's reasonable to you. You could get by with a £200 car but if you can afford more you could go for one a little more expensive and more reloable
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mr. Petrol Head
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
500 to 900 quids gets you started well with a decent car
cath_slater
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Depends what you want it for. I spent just over £5000 on mine because I wanted one to last and would withstand long journeys. It really depends what you need it for.
classic3296
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
500 to 900 quids gets you started well with a decent car
In some areas you can find sub £900 cars easily but in others all cars under 1k are usually on their way to the scrap yard anyways
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by classic3296)
In some areas you can find sub £900 cars easily but in others all cars under 1k are usually on their way to the scrap yard anyways
Buying a beater car makes one more comfortable to work on it himself. Plus old cars are way easier to fix when wrecked and parts are cheap.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(I always thought a beater car was something to do with dogging? :rolleyes:)
classic3296
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
Buying a beater car makes one more comfortable to work on it himself. Plus old cars are way easier to fix when wrecked and parts are cheap.
<£1000 cars aren't that maintenance thirsty if you buy a good example but it's hard to find good cars when you have a small radius to search in <15 miles. Granted it depends on where you live but you can find good cars.

Obviously stay away from French cars that are over 100k miles, high mileage luxury German cars and cars that don't have service history and you'll be ok. You can find low mileage clios, fiesta's that are pretty good.
Mr. Petrol Head
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by classic3296)
<£1000 cars aren't that maintenance thirsty if you buy a good example but it's hard to find good cars when you have a small radius to search in <15 miles. Granted it depends on where you live but you can find good cars.

Obviously stay away from French cars that are over 100k miles, high mileage luxury German cars and cars that don't have service history and you'll be ok. You can find low mileage clios, fiesta's that are pretty good.
That's right! I feel sticking to Honda Civics or other japanese brands such as toyota are an excellent choice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads