Transferring to Oxbridge Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Why don't more people transfer into Oxbridge? I believe it's possible as it says so on their websites but I don't often hear of people transferring into Oxbridge from other universities. I would assume that this is because people would rather not have to retake a year of university, but surely there are people who take gap years just to reapply?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why don't more people transfer into Oxbridge? I believe it's possible as it says so on their websites but I don't often hear of people transferring into Oxbridge from other universities. I would assume that this is because people would rather not have to retake a year of university, but surely there are people who take gap years just to reapply?
Neither university welcome applications from students in the first year of a degree elsewhere. Both only accept transfer applications with support and a reference from academics at your current university - something that isn’t an option by the 15 October in the first year of a degree.

The only way to apply to transfer into year 1 of Oxford or Cambridge is to plan to suspend studies after year 1 elsewhere and apply AFTER completing first year. Or to apply during second year but because oxbridge only offer yr 1 entry that would mean self funding fees for the repeated first year.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I thought Cambridge didn't even permit this (they're policy may have changed, but that used to be the case). Reapplying to Oxford whilst in Year 1 elsewhere has all the issues PQ mentions. Neither uni permits transfers into the second year or later, as other universities do.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by RichE)
I thought Cambridge didn't even permit this (they're policy may have changed, but that used to be the case). Reapplying to Oxford whilst in Year 1 elsewhere has all the issues PQ mentions. Neither uni permits transfers into the second year or later, as other universities do.
Previously they didn't, they relaxed the language on their page somewhat sometime in the last couple years (since I think it still was pretty much an unequivocal no when I started as a CA). Now it's just as PQ says, exceptional circumstances, strong support from current course provider/tutor, etc.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You make it sound like this is easy to do? It very much is not. Exceptional circumstances only.

In 6 years I knew of one transfer from another uni, and that was via a system that routinely allowed transfer from Oxford to London (medicine), and to come 'up-stream' she had to be a top performer in the year at UCL and had done an additional masters degree there. Not routine whatsoever!
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
Would you be able to apply without them knowing you were at another uni?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Would you be able to apply without them knowing you were at another uni?
That would require submitting a fraudulent application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.14%
No I am happy with my course choice (404)
56.9%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.23%

Watched Threads