Primark till short of £5.20 Watch

Separate02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Today my till came up short of £5.20 and I have no idea why. My supervisor said that I might have to speak to the manager and now I’m worried. What are the next steps? What will happen to me?
Xarao
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There's three possible explanations:

1. You stole the money
2. You gave the wrong change
3. The people that come in to take money out incorrectly put the wrong amount (however this is unlikely since you're missing 20 pence when they usually take out notes of 20's and 10's)

So, what do you think is the right one?
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You will be asked to pay it back, normally out of wages.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Xarao)

1. You stole the money
3. The people that come in to take money out incorrectly put the wrong amount (however this is unlikely since you're missing 20 pence when they usually take out notes of 20's and 10's)

I'd say out of those reasons, it's either (a) they counted incorrectly or (b) incorrect change was given out at some point. The latter is completely feasible as Primark is known to be very busy.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
You will be asked to pay it back, normally out of wages.
Don't talk on a subject that you have no knowledge of.
Separate02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)

1. You stole the money

Well I know for a fact that I didn’t steal it. It is unlikely that I gave the wrong change but I’m worried that I might have.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Xarao)
Don't talk on a subject that you have no knowledge of.
You been sacked from Primark for nicking 20p?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Separate02)
Well I know for a fact that I didn’t steal it. It is unlikely that I gave the wrong change but I’m worried that I might have.
Something that's possible (which has happened to me before), is you gave the correct change but entered the wrong amount, if you had to manually enter in a value at some point. This would cause the end of day printout to come up short.

Spoiler:
Show

in my case by a couple hundred pounds because I'd misplaced a decimal or two while typing it in (I was volunteering at Oxfam so we had no scanned items) :x I'd calculated their change in my head already though so they got the right amount, and once we worked out the error it all added up xD

DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They either counted wrong or the wrong change has been given out. I've never worked at Primark, but at other companies if the till comes up short you don't pay it back yourself (unless you admit to stealing it). They'll just count the money again normally a few times, and if it is still short then they'll usually conclude that the wrong change was given out at some point.
Separate02
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Something that's possible (which has happened to me before), is you gave the correct change but entered the wrong amount, if you had to manually enter in a value at some point. This would cause the end of day printout to come up short.

Spoiler:
Show

in my case by a couple hundred pounds because I'd misplaced a decimal or two while typing it in (I was volunteering at Oxfam so we had no scanned items) :x I'd calculated their change in my head already though so they got the right amount, and once we worked out the error it all added up xD
Ahh that possibly could have happened. What happened to you after you did tht?
AdamCor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nothing big will happen, where I used to work people used to lose upwards of £30 and nothing was ever done.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ahh that possibly could have happened. What happened to you after you did tht?
They figured out the error and just manually wrote in what happened to the cashing up book or whatever, and nothing else happened. Of course, I was just volunteering at a tiny Oxfam in a little country town So different environment...

Also in my case it was pretty obvious it was an error, because the difference was so large, and everything we sold was so cheap. THere probably wasn't even that much cash in the till on most days.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 week ago
Deggs_14
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As Primark is very busy, perhaps you gave out the wrong change at some point throughout the day? I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you know that you didn’t steal it.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
You been sacked from Primark for nicking 20p?
Unless you intentionally steal, they wouldn't ask him/her to pay it back.

You're clearly here to rack up your post count, good on you bud.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am sad to read that there was any money in the till. As it means people have shopped there, and contributed to the second largest cause of climate change.

What will happen I have no idea.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Xarao)
Unless you intentionally steal, they wouldn't ask him/her to pay it back.

You're clearly here to rack up your post count, good on you bud.
No, you are wrong and I am not sure why you have so much attitude. I am not an expert on employment law or deductions, though I am a trained advice worker and have given detailed advice on these things. I have seen many times when employees, particularly bar staff, are expected to cover the float.

It was lazy to suggest OP would have this occur, but it seemed sort of implied something disciplinary would occur.

For retail workers under s17 of the Employment Rights Act 1996, these deductions (if contracted in to the employment contract) can include "dishonesty or other conduct on the park of the worker which resulted in any shortage or deficiency" and "any other event of which he ... has any contractual liability and which so resulted". So it can emerge from far more than intentionally stealing, including being careless (presuming the liability for the float is within the employment contract, which you will often see (or at least I have)). I don't know whether these are lawful, mind; small employers usually do what they like and the IDS doesn't specify the limits of the contractual liability.
Smilingtribute
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You really need to double check your change that you are giving customers. I’ve made this mistake in the past when I first started but the customer luckily returned. I haven’t made this mistake since. I check mine three times before I give it back to the customer. The amount of the money that you give back will be calculated on the till. However, mistakes do happen.
Last edited by Smilingtribute; 1 week ago
Separate02
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Just to let everyone know, nothing happened! It’s totally fine
pineapplepink
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
what did the manager say?
Just to let everyone know, nothing happened! It’s totally fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed