Unit capped at a D- because of one module - HELP! Watch

ricam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi, I've got my results back and would like some advice!

My final grade was split into two units:
A) Major project - 80 credits which I got a B
B) Theory project - 40 credits - which was split into 3 elements/modules:

1. Website - I got a B - worth 15 credits
2. Dissertation proposal - I got a B - worth 10 credits
3. Dissertation - I submitted the wrong version ON TIME, which would be a fail. I was told by my course leader to resubmit and get a D-, however, it was not explained that my WHOLE unit would be capped at a D-, heavily affecting my final grade.

My question is: If I was to appeal and ask to remove the resubmitted diss, and take a fail for one of the modules/elements, surely that would improve my grade? Can you fail one module in a unit?

I put into a GPA calc:
80 credits -B
5 credits - B
15 credits - B
20 credits - F
TOTAL = GPA: 2.73 / B-

Apposed to now:
80 credits - B
40 credits - D-
= C 2.44

Thanks
Last edited by ricam; 6 days ago
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ricam)
Hi, I've got my results back and would like some advice!

My final grade was split into two units:
A) Major project - 80 credits which I got a B
B) Theory project - 40 credits - which was split into 3 elements/modules:

1. Website - I got a B - worth 15 credits
2. Dissertation proposal - I got a B - worth 10 credits
3. Dissertation - I submitted the wrong version ON TIME, which would be a fail. I was told by my course leader to resubmit and get a D-, however, it was not explained that my WHOLE unit would be capped at a D-, heavily affecting my final grade.

My question is: If I was to appeal and ask to remove the resubmitted diss, and take a fail for one of the modules/elements, surely that would improve my grade? Can you fail one module in a unit?

I put into a GPA calc:
80 credits -B
5 credits - B
15 credits - B
20 credits - F
TOTAL = GPA: 2.73 / B-

Apposed to now:
80 credits - B
40 credits - D-
= C 2.44

Thanks
this is quite confusing, is this a US uni?
ricam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by mnot)
this is quite confusing, is this a US uni?
Hey,

No this is a London art uni course.

It's quite hard to explain but I'll try my best!

My final grade (2:2) is made up of two units. One of the two units is comprised of 3 essays (which are averaged).

I've been penalised with a D- for late submission of my dissertation (one of the 3 essays). This was because I submitted the wrong version of my dissertation and was told to resubmit the correct version late.

However, I was not told that it would apply that late grade penalty (D-) to the whole unit. My thoughts are.. had I NOT resubmitted the work and just got a fail for an incorrect, unfinished version of the dissertation, I would have not incurred the late penalty for the whole unit. I would have a B+, B and fail, which according to a GPA calculator, averages at a C-.

This would massively affect my grade and I don't know why they wouldn't suggest this unless I'm missing anything?

Thanks for you help
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ricam)
Hey,

No this is a London art uni course.

It's quite hard to explain but I'll try my best!

My final grade (2:2) is made up of two units. One of the two units is comprised of 3 essays (which are averaged).

I've been penalised with a D- for late submission of my dissertation (one of the 3 essays). This was because I submitted the wrong version of my dissertation and was told to resubmit the correct version late.

However, I was not told that it would apply that late grade penalty (D-) to the whole unit. My thoughts are.. had I NOT resubmitted the work and just got a fail for an incorrect, unfinished version of the dissertation, I would have not incurred the late penalty for the whole unit. I would have a B+, B and fail, which according to a GPA calculator, averages at a C-.

This would massively affect my grade and I don't know why they wouldn't suggest this unless I'm missing anything?

Thanks for you help
I have no idea how grading A,B,C etc correlates to 1st,2.1,2.2 as every other Uni use numerical scores and i know what average correlates to what category.

I have no way of verifying your case, all i can recommend is to file a complaint and explain why you feel the imposed penalty was unfair, then it will be reviewed.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Speak to someone at your uni. You may not be allowed to fail any individual part. You may not be able to change it now. We really have no idea what your rules are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.7%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (456)
58.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.82%

Watched Threads