Does the university you get a DClinPsy at matter? What undergrad grade is needed?

Watch
robininthewind
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,

I'm currently a second year psych undergrad at Uni of Bath. I want to be a clinical psychologist, so I need a DClinPsy. The DClinPsy is very competitive and knowing this has caused me a lot of stress in my second year in terms of getting the highest grades possible. Now that the year is over I'm spending some time to think further about my path to clinical psychology. I hope that by getting a more accurate picture on the entry requirements to the DClinPsy, I can manage my expectations and standards better in the upcoming years of my undergrad.

My first question would be whether or not the uni you get your DClinPsy at matters. With an undergrad, it does matter. A degree from Oxbridge is better than a degree from a lot of other unis. What about with DClinPsy? If you get a DClinPsy from Oxford or Bath (which I imagine are fairly 'prestigous' unis for clinical psych) is it any better than getting a DClinPsy from Cardiff or Southampton for example. Are the entry requirements different? From the info I can find most unis just state 2:1 or above. But is it tougher to get into Oxford than Southampton? And when I ask 'does it matter' I guess what I'm mainly asking is whether or not it affects your chances of employment. Most people go on to work for the NHS after getting a DClinPsy, but once you have the qualification, is your chance at employment fairly guarenteed? In which case, does it really matter what uni you go to for a DClinPsy?

Sidenote: I am aware that different unis have different teaching styles and my teach different materials as well, as that is important when deciding on your DClinPsy uni. I'm mainly asking about whether prestige exists within the DClinPsy unis and whether it's important or not.

And of course, the main reason I am interested in whether the uni matters is because I'm trying to determine the standard I should be aiming for in my final year of undergrad. Of course, I want to do the best I possibly can, but I also don't want to stress out all the time because I don't think my work is good enough. Given adequate work experience both undergrad and postgrad, is a mid 2:1 (65) or even a low 2:1 (62) good enough to eventually get onto a DClinPsy course?

Thanks guys
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The main questions in order

No, not really (matter which uni).

High 2.1 (which is defined differently by different unis, with a lot of overlap)

Forget about the DClinPsy for the moment. No. Really. No. Really, really.

Having got that high 2.1 what will ultimately determine whether you get on is 1) your work/voluntary experience 2) your ability to deftly and concisely explain this in a pressure cooker application process.
Last edited by marinade; 8 months ago
Lord Asriel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Read www.clinpsy.org.uk for a wider discussion of the issues you raise. Use the search function as they have all been discussed at length there before.

Marinade is absolutely correct in that it is pointless to worry about it in Year 2 undergraduate. Do the best you can but higher marks are only a part of the much bigger picture, and different courses will have shifted their admission focus by the time you are in a vague position of applying. People get into DClinPsys from a range of backgrounds and undergrad university (beyond basic BPS recognition) is not high at all on selectors radar.

If it helps my last 6 DClinPsy trainees undergrad were Surrey, Oxford, Royal Holloway, Bristol, Open University and Bath. IMO mentorship and guidance (and supervision) from a clinical psychologist is really helpful. It helped me back in the day, and I have just had an undergraduate on placement with me in my team, and its amazing to see the difference in her understanding of the clinical psychology landscape over the last 12 months.
MIBarker
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by robininthewind)
Hi,

I'm currently a second year psych undergrad at Uni of Bath. I want to be a clinical psychologist, so I need a DClinPsy. The DClinPsy is very competitive and knowing this has caused me a lot of stress in my second year in terms of getting the highest grades possible. Now that the year is over I'm spending some time to think further about my path to clinical psychology. I hope that by getting a more accurate picture on the entry requirements to the DClinPsy, I can manage my expectations and standards better in the upcoming years of my undergrad.

My first question would be whether or not the uni you get your DClinPsy at matters. With an undergrad, it does matter. A degree from Oxbridge is better than a degree from a lot of other unis. What about with DClinPsy? If you get a DClinPsy from Oxford or Bath (which I imagine are fairly 'prestigous' unis for clinical psych) is it any better than getting a DClinPsy from Cardiff or Southampton for example. Are the entry requirements different? From the info I can find most unis just state 2:1 or above. But is it tougher to get into Oxford than Southampton? And when I ask 'does it matter' I guess what I'm mainly asking is whether or not it affects your chances of employment. Most people go on to work for the NHS after getting a DClinPsy, but once you have the qualification, is your chance at employment fairly guarenteed? In which case, does it really matter what uni you go to for a DClinPsy?

Sidenote: I am aware that different unis have different teaching styles and my teach different materials as well, as that is important when deciding on your DClinPsy uni. I'm mainly asking about whether prestige exists within the DClinPsy unis and whether it's important or not.

And of course, the main reason I am interested in whether the uni matters is because I'm trying to determine the standard I should be aiming for in my final year of undergrad. Of course, I want to do the best I possibly can, but I also don't want to stress out all the time because I don't think my work is good enough. Given adequate work experience both undergrad and postgrad, is a mid 2:1 (65) or even a low 2:1 (62) good enough to eventually get onto a DClinPsy course?

Thanks guys
Hi,

I've been talking to different unis about the dclinpsy too. Firstly, some places are definitely more difficult to get into than others. The average rate of acceptance across the whole country was 14% a couple of years ago, but in Bath they accept only 14 out of 500-600 applicants every year, so it's much harder to get in there than other places. But the good news is that I have a friend who has finished a dclinpsy and is a practicing psychologist now, and she said it virtually doesn't matter where you get your degree from.

Also, it might be relevant to mention that Bath has a focus on health psychology in the doctorate and their placements are generally related to health psyc. If that's your thing then great, if not then perhaps look elsewhere.

Hope that helps!
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Particularly 3rd years but also now it seems 2nd years (ones I talk to) spend a great deal of time obsessing over the clinical doctorate and their train of thinking goes something along the following lines in many cases

The DClinPsy is nearly impossible to get on
So I need to get a first and hospital experience during my undergrad
So as I might not get a first I need to be obsessing about a master's
So as everyone else is doing a master's I need to try and get as 'clinical' a master's as possible
So as I'm told that it's nearly impossible to get on the DClinPsy then maybe it's really difficult to get on a master's
So I will worry about getting enough clinical experience to get on a master's
So as it's difficult to get on a master's and the DClinPsy is impossible it must be impossible to get an AP role
So as it's impossible to get on the DClinPsy, AP and difficult to get on a master's I'll got for a voluntary AP
So it must be nearly impossible to get on a voluntary AP as everyone else wants to do that following my logic
So as that's nearly impossible it must be not quite nearly impossible to get other voluntary clinical experience
So I'm totally screwed.

Repeat x 1000.

This unhelpful loop doesn't help anyone. The faulty bits are that people generally overestimate how difficult it is to get on PWP/AP and spend years faffing around in other roles and then have a quarterlife psychology crisis and then decide screw it, I'm going to actually go for PWP/AP and wow oh my god I actually got that. Shame I didn't think of that 4-5 years ago.

That's basically aged 19-25 in clinical psychology summed up. It doesn't mean people will get on the DClinPsy, but years and years are wasted worrying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads