Picking law module year 2 LLB Watch

mrmr.26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I'm going into my second year of Law (LLB) in September, and have one optional module to pick, but I am really uncertain and would like some opinions.
For the first year we had to do contract law, criminal law, public law and european law. I got the same grade average for all of them.
In the future my plan is to be a corporate lawyer and I will be taking commercial law in third year.
For choosing my second year module I am really conflicted.
I am deciding between IP, competition law, insurance contract law, or family law.
The three compulsory modules for us to take next year are tort law, trust, & property. So I can choose one module of the ones I listed above.
I am conflicted because-
1. competition law is very centered around EU laws, and I'm not interested in that, don't even know if I will stay in the UK in the future
2. several people have suggested IP to me, which I think is a good idea but I feel like it will be very boring and don't know how learning IP will benefit me in the future (if you do know how, please can you explain to me)
3. Family law seems the most interesting but is very irrelevant to commercial law and I don't know if it would be better to pick relevant subjects because I am applying for vacation schemes etc. ending second year
Thus, what do you recommend I choose? Anyone who has studied these modules, can you give me some more info on the difficulty/intensity/how interesting the module is?
I feel like all the commercial-y ones are a bit boring to me but they would be more beneficial than family law.
How should I make a decision?
Please help.
Thanks
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Doubt taking fam over insurance is gonna make a big difference to your TC prospects.

Btw, you do know insurance is also a commercial subject -- unless you only do the consumer reforms.

Do what is interesting to you and in which you think you will perform well.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
IP is more interesting than you might imagine. That would be my personal preference from what you have listed. Still, the advice above is the best approach. If you are more interested in family, you will likely find it the easiest to study and score higher in.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Insurance contract law sounds like death

EU Competition law will likely be mirrored by UK law

Family law may raise eyebrows if you're not also taking modules that seem more relevant
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Insurance contract law sounds like death
Yeah, imagine doing common law in a common law country. The unimaginable horrors!
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Yeah, imagine doing common law in a common law country. The unimaginable horrors!
The common law can be death, daddy (remember tort?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads