Walking home alone in the dark Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
In order to get home from work on one occasion coming up, I'm going to need to walk home alone in the dark. There is no public transport, I can't drive and there is no hope of getting a lift or anyone to walk with me. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for a brief 5 minute section where I will have to walk down a secluded, unlit pathway out of view. There are no other routes. Does anyone have any advice for how I can stay safe doing this?
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it's a one time thing, just Uber it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Xarao)
If it's a one time thing, just Uber it.
Unfortunately that isn't an option for me as I am under 18
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Take a taxi if it is one time.
Your safety is worth more than what could happen
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
In order to get home from work on one occasion coming up, I'm going to need to walk home alone in the dark. There is no public transport, I can't drive and there is no hope of getting a lift or anyone to walk with me. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for a brief 5 minute section where I will have to walk down a secluded, unlit pathway out of view. There are no other routes. Does anyone have any advice for how I can stay safe doing this?
it's the unlit section a footpath?
vix.xvi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
run for it i think and keep someone on the phone while u do it lol idek
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unfortunately that isn't an option for me as I am under 18
Oh I wasn't aware that you had to provide your birth certificate to Uber. Oh wait.

Anyways it's your choice, walk alone in the dark or use Uber/taxi.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by claireestelle)
it's the unlit section a footpath?
Yes, it's just very dark and secluded
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
i think that person mean that they cant pay for it via their phone or soemthing which means they cant uber it
(Original post by Xarao)
Oh I wasn't aware that you had to provide your birth certificate to Uber. Oh wait.

Anyways it's your choice, walk alone in the dark or use Uber/taxi.
p_helena
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Make sure your phone is fully charged, and be on the phone to someone even if you're not talking- then the person you're on the phone to will know if something happens.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, it's just very dark and secluded
bright clothing, don't listen to music too loud so you're always aware of your surrounding and take a torch incase your phone dies.
vix.xvi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
lol just walk in a high-vis jacket so they think ur a builder lmao
bright clothing, don't listen to music too loud so you're always aware of your surrounding and take a torch incase your phone dies.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i think that person mean that they cant pay for it via their phone or soemthing which means they cant uber it
All you need is a bank account to start using Uber.
(Original post by p_helena)
Make sure your phone is fully charged, and be on the phone to someone even if you're not talking- then the person you're on the phone to will know if something happens.
Worst advice you can give. Time to walk in the dark with my shiny new phone, I'm definitely not getting mugged tonight.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
lol just walk in a high-vis jacket so they think ur a builder lmao
not the worst idea.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
use black bluetooth headphones
(Original post by Xarao)

Worst advice you can give. Time to walk in the dark with my shiny new phone, I'm definitely not getting mugged tonight.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Xarao)
Uber isn't widely used in some cities still, we've ubereats here but still no actual uber.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Uber isn't widely used in some cities still, we've ubereats here but still no actual uber.
I don't necessarily mean Uber itself, but rather any taxi company as that would be the most safest approach for OP.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Xarao)
I don't necessarily mean Uber itself, but rather any taxi company as that would be the most safest approach for OP.
i'm presuming OP can't afford or arrange that for some reason, i had my phone stolen in broad daylight once so i generally don't feel like night is much worse.
Anonymous #1
OP here
Thank you to everyone who's answered, I've had some good advice. I may have miscommunicated in my post; although I only know of one concrete date I'll have to make this journey, it's a new job with unreliable hours, so unfortunately I may have to make the journey regularly.
Most days I'll be able to get a train but on sundays they don't run, hence the problem. I've decided to buy myself a hi-vis jacket and whistle, which should make me a little safer.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
OP here
Thank you to everyone who's answered, I've had some good advice. I may have miscommunicated in my post; although I only know of one concrete date I'll have to make this journey, it's a new job with unreliable hours, so unfortunately I may have to make the journey regularly.
Most days I'll be able to get a train but on sundays they don't run, hence the problem. I've decided to buy myself a hi-vis jacket and whistle, which should make me a little safer.
Wouldn't a hi-vis jacket make you more of a target in a secluded area? Fair enough if it was far more open to the public, but a closed one?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (57)
56.44%
No (44)
43.56%

Watched Threads