Justified punishments Watch

Whoareyou?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi all, So I'm currently a student myself, and I would class myself as reasonably well-behaved, and have never once been put in isolation, or had a detention longer than 10 minutes. However, it was only recently that I was sent on a Geography Fieldwork trip and was allowed free time (bear in mind this is in a huge city unknown to me). The teachers never clearly specified the boundaries of where to walk and had only said to stay in the area, and ironically we ended up lost. Let's just the say the teachers were not pleased, I ended up with various detentions, isolation, phone calls home and extremely annoyed teachers. Now, I myself feel terrible, as the teachers had to spend their own time locating us, and the other students ended up waiting for us for quite some time. However since this was towards the end of the trip, many students had already completed/gathered the necessary information needed so I feel it was purely just the effort needed to locate us that was the issue.(Not trying to sound ignorant, I understand other factors come into play, such as the dangers of strangers, injuries etc). Now onto the question, the teachers have stated that they will not be taking us onto anymore trips in future, including the REQUIRED fieldwork trip that is to follow, which is understandable as it was such a hassle for them. However if we don't partake in this trip, our grades will be majorly affected and I will not be able to get the grades I need or want even with hard work. Do you think it's justifiable to allow my grades, and my future, to suffer for this? (Sorry for the long paragraph ^_^ )
shauna.23
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
personally, I do not feel they are justified, as it is their duty to educate to the best of their ability and provide their students with the best results possible, they should not allow a simple and innocent mistake to inhibit the progress of students. If it makes you feel any better, my school does annual trips to Alton Towers, and for 2 years in a row, me and my bestfriend got lost and were 30 minutes or more back to the meeting point. We got so so many dirty looks by other students and called so many names, needless to say, the teachers were shook. Their wigs were thoroughly snatched. We just laughed it off.
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think that they have to take you on required fieldwork for your exam but anything more than that I’m not surprised they won’t.
Ask your parents to speak to school
Whoareyou?
Rep:
?
Thank you for understanding my point, that's exactly what I was thinking! And I'm so sorry people are so impatient like that, the exact same thing happened to me with this trip- literally so many people were glaring and name calling, even encouraging the teachers to punish us! But hey, I hope you at least had a good time on your trip, I can't say the same, lol.
(Original post by shauna.23)
personally, I do not feel they are justified, as it is their duty to educate to the best of their ability and provide their students with the best results possible, they should not allow a simple and innocent mistake to inhibit the progress of students. If it makes you feel any better, my school does annual trips to Alton Towers, and for 2 years in a row, me and my bestfriend got lost and were 30 minutes or more back to the meeting point. We got so so many dirty looks by other students and called so many names, needless to say, the teachers were shook. Their wigs were thoroughly snatched. We just laughed it off.
Whoareyou?
Rep:
?
Honestly same, also thanks for the advice, I have tried already but the teachers just won't budge.
(Original post by Sammylou40)
I think that they have to take you on required fieldwork for your exam but anything more than that I’m not surprised they won’t.
Ask your parents to speak to school
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Whoareyou?)
Honestly same, also thanks for the advice, I have tried already but the teachers just won't budge.
I think if it’s essential to your exam results that you have to pursue it. You should ask your parents to write to the governors and the local education authority.
Giving detention and exclusion is fair enough I suppose, although Jeopardising exam results is a step too far.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Then you’re just immature and irresponsible and if I was your teacher you wouldn’t be going. Grow up
(Original post by shauna.23)
shauna.23
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
ok, you need to calm down. Don't tell me to grow up, I was 11 and 12 at the time, now I'm 16. Of course, nothing of the sort has happened since I was 12. I suggest you keep your nasty comments to yourself unless you know the full details, I hadn't given my age or the year of the event, GrOw Up sammy~
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Then you’re just immature and irresponsible and if I was your teacher you wouldn’t be going. Grow up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads