a level advice? Watch

shauna.23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hey I'm starting college in September and I'm feeling very excited and motivated, I've heard that A levels are quite a big step up from GCSE's, but i want to do my best.
does anyone have any advice on how to achieve the best grades possible, or just general college advice and just how to enjoy my time there?
i will be taking A-level English literature, Sociology, and history.
Also, how can i prepare for college over the summer? and does this sound like a good combination of A-levels for a Law degree? They're what i enjoy most and performed best at in GCSE.
JackMoseley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by shauna.23)
Hey I'm starting college in September and I'm feeling very excited and motivated, I've heard that A levels are quite a big step up from GCSE's, but i want to do my best.
does anyone have any advice on how to achieve the best grades possible, or just general college advice and just how to enjoy my time there?
i will be taking A-level English literature, Sociology, and history.
Also, how can i prepare for college over the summer? and does this sound like a good combination of A-levels for a Law degree? They're what i enjoy most and performed best at in GCSE.
College is a very exiting time, and I hope you love it! I really enjoyed my last two years of college to say the least.

Although this tip may seem very basic, it’s a big one and if you can get into the habit, trust me your college life will be so much easier haha, and that’s to literally make revision material and revise from the beginning of college. Don’t do what I did which is leave it to the very end before the exams, it’s torture! Also don’t be afraid to branch out from your group you may know from school, the best thing that happened for me was I met a new group of friends, my old and new combined and it made the two years go incredibly quick and enjoyable.

I wouldn’t really know what goes well for a law degree, your best bet is to have a look what subjects universities require for it. I would imagine to make life easier at university you may want to consider a level law.

It is and it isn’t a big step up in some ways, I mean I’d say enjoy your summer to the fullest, and just keep on top of skills towards the end, and maybe have a look at what you will be doing within the first term to allow yourself to slightly prepare, but it isn’t necessary.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
shauna.23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by JackMoseley)
College is a very exiting time, and I hope you love it! I really enjoyed my last two years of college to say the least.

Although this tip may seem very basic, it’s a big one and if you can get into the habit, trust me your college life will be so much easier haha, and that’s to literally make revision material and revise from the beginning of college. Don’t do what I did which is leave it to the very end before the exams, it’s torture! Also don’t be afraid to branch out from your group you may know from school, the best thing that happened for me was I met a new group of friends, my old and new combined and it made the two years go incredibly quick and enjoyable.

I wouldn’t really know what goes well for a law degree, your best bet is to have a look what subjects universities require for it. I would imagine to make life easier at university you may want to consider a level law.

It is and it isn’t a big step up in some ways, I mean I’d say enjoy your summer to the fullest, and just keep on top of skills towards the end, and maybe have a look at what you will be doing within the first term to allow yourself to slightly prepare, but it isn’t necessary.
thank you so much for your advice! much appreciated. I have been considering switching history for law, but im hesitant as it is a facilitating subject, and id like to apply to some Russel group unis in the future. Others have told me to swap it for sociology instead, but as much as history is my strongest subject i find there is too much content and i no longer find it enjoyable
JackMoseley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by shauna.23)
thank you so much for your advice! much appreciated. I have been considering switching history for law, but im hesitant as it is a facilitating subject, and id like to apply to some Russel group unis in the future. Others have told me to swap it for sociology instead, but as much as history is my strongest subject i find there is too much content and i no longer find it enjoyable
No worries. I completely understand. I feel like swapping history for a different subject like sociology, physiology or law may give you a broader range of courses at university than history might, along with jobs afterwards. I’m definitely no expert but that’s how I’d feel about that. When I first applied to college I never looked to see what universities wanted for my course, I got lucky selecting the right subject but if you have an idea of what you’d like to do, I’d recommend looking to see their entry requirements
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (69)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (395)
57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.14%

Watched Threads