The Student Room Group

Where can I go to get some personalised career advice?

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a way to receive some tailored and meaningful careers advice to help me start on the right path? I'm thinking about the type of thing where my skills, education and experience will be assessed to determine what kind of career might be suitable, and advice is provided on courses or qualifications that are likely to help me get a job in that profession.

Feels like every career-related decision I've made has been the wrong one and now I'm mid-30s and stuck in a dead-end job with no prospects at all. I completed an Open Uni degree in chemistry which I believed might enhance my career prospects but it hasn't done anything at all for me. I never expected to be gifted an amazing job after graduating, but I thought achieving a 2:1 in a STEM subject might at least open up some additional opportunities. It remained just as difficult to find a job though. Even when only applying for basic entry-level positions where I thought I could eventually progress, I received no response from the majority of applications. My CV has been assessed and its fine; the issue is that all of my experience is in customer service, call centres, etc.

Since I can't afford to make the wrong decision again, I'm just wondering where I can get some professional guidance from an expert. Considered something in wind turbine maintenance, but I think too many people are doing that now. Also thought about doing a qualification in quantity surveying, but that would be a big risk given the cost and time it would take and I don't know how likely it would be to lead to a job. I really just need some expert advice so was hoping someone might know how to go about this. The Open Uni careers advice wasn't really that helpful for this type of thing.
Reply 2
Thanks.

Anyone else able to help?
Original post by smulx

There's nothing. It's an adulting thing you have to put together for yourself. Your University careers service is the best you are going to get at anytime in your life really, because it's designed to get it's graduates started. But ultimately, setting up a career and working out what to do for the best is a personal thing, selecting advice you pick up from here, there and everywhere.

To be honest, the internet has never made it easier, but it's also never made it easier for frauds to take your money. Don't commit to one person or one company finding you a solution - you need to piece it together for yourself.
Original post by smulx
Thanks.

Anyone else able to help?

No worries at all.

I fully recommend you filling out the personality test, then reading through all sections of your specific personality type. There's a section on career paths.

NB:

Your CV should be tailor-made for each job you apply for.

Have you ever considered starting your own business?

Reply 5
Original post by smulx
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a way to receive some tailored and meaningful careers advice to help me start on the right path? I'm thinking about the type of thing where my skills, education and experience will be assessed to determine what kind of career might be suitable, and advice is provided on courses or qualifications that are likely to help me get a job in that profession.

Feels like every career-related decision I've made has been the wrong one and now I'm mid-30s and stuck in a dead-end job with no prospects at all. I completed an Open Uni degree in chemistry which I believed might enhance my career prospects but it hasn't done anything at all for me. I never expected to be gifted an amazing job after graduating, but I thought achieving a 2:1 in a STEM subject might at least open up some additional opportunities. It remained just as difficult to find a job though. Even when only applying for basic entry-level positions where I thought I could eventually progress, I received no response from the majority of applications. My CV has been assessed and its fine; the issue is that all of my experience is in customer service, call centres, etc.

Since I can't afford to make the wrong decision again, I'm just wondering where I can get some professional guidance from an expert. Considered something in wind turbine maintenance, but I think too many people are doing that now. Also thought about doing a qualification in quantity surveying, but that would be a big risk given the cost and time it would take and I don't know how likely it would be to lead to a job. I really just need some expert advice so was hoping someone might know how to go about this. The Open Uni careers advice wasn't really that helpful for this type of thing.

Hi

You note that your CV has been 'assessed'. By whom? How skilled are they?

Which part of the country are you in? Some places are far easier than others when it comes to career moves.

Quick Reply

Latest