Building rapport Watch

AquaGuy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So, I understand how to do mirroring and matching (in theory, I need to practise it practically) but one thing I can’t find online is, would wearing similar clothes to the person or having a similar hair style work too? For example, if we both wore a shirt, not an identical shirt, or both wore a similar kind of shoe, etc.
Or am I kind of misunderstand Mirroring and Matching?

Also, how can I tell whether I am mirroring the other person or I am mirroring them?

Thanks. ✌️
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by AquaGuy)
So, I understand how to do mirroring and matching (in theory, I need to practise it practically) but one thing I can’t find online is, would wearing similar clothes to the person or having a similar hair style work too? For example, if we both wore a shirt, not an identical shirt, or both wore a similar kind of shoe, etc.

Also, how can I tell whether I am mirroring the other person or I am mirroring them?

Thanks. ✌️
No i don't think you should go for similar clothes, i think it's more about body language really
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

Thanks. ✌️
Hi there
Popped your thread into Advice on everyday issues so you may get a few more relevant responses :woo:
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

Thanks. ✌️
Depends in what type of context you're talking about tbh

Something to note is, you might have heard the phrase 'imitation is the best form of flattery?' I think it would normally depend on the person whether it was a compliment or annoying.
Personally I think if you were matching them it would be more along the lines of actions & words and not your really being "you"; whereas mirroring is putting your own twist on things so to speak.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads