Brexit Watch

Georgia356
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Does anyone have any opinions on Brexit? I know most of us are only teenagers but I stillest really paranoid at the thought of no deal. I know for student debates - which I really love doing- the voting age is often discussed but while I have no opinions on this really I definitely think a bad Brexit will effect us more than adults.

Ps sorry if this has been discussed before I’ve just joined 😂
Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Georgia356
Rep:
?
Oh also sorry it’s not really about school.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Georgia356)
Does anyone have any opinions on Brexit?...
Yes... it's handled badly (whatever side you're on, you can't say it's done well).
Georgia356
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes... it's handled badly (whatever side you're on, you can't say it's done well).
I agree!
Zappluger
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
At this point I just want a conclusion to Brexit. I don't even care about the outcome any more.
Georgia356
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zappluger)
At this point I just want a conclusion to Brexit. I don't even care about the outcome any more.
They just need to get it over and done with so they can deal with the consequences
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Does anyone have any opinions on Brexit? I know most of us are only teenagers but I stillest really paranoid at the thought of no deal. I know for student debates - which I really love doing- the voting age is often discussed but while I have no opinions on this really I definitely think a bad Brexit will effect us more than adults.

Thanks
You mention that you are paranoid because of Brexit.

Can you outline what is causing this irrational fear? The thought that your nation would no longer be subject to foreign law? The thought that we would no longer be subject to EU state aid rules and as such could discriminate in favour of British firms? The thought that we would no longer be part of the largest subsidy programme on the planet (the common aggricultural policy)?

Please expand on your fears.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

Thanks
We are actually currently in the worst case scenario, which is nothing, this is much worse for business as it makes short, medium & long planning impossible. The good news is the UK economy is actually outperforming predictions. Whatever happens the UK economy will be fine we may feel a squeeze for 6-9 months after the deed is done, but the UK economy is still to entertwined in the global economy. The reality is leave or stay I honestly think it will all work out.

Despite voting remain in 2016, i now think we should leave (customs union, and EU jurisdiction) this is what was expected at the vote (this is what EVERY politician said it meant), and this what a referendum is, and it makes a mockery of the system if we dont leave. And i know people say 'have a second referendum' but what if turnout is less, then what if in 6 months Brexit party soars in the polls, honestly that would cause a far worse fait for British politics where the issue would linger for decades, we just need it done, so we can get back to the regular crap politics.
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well I was a soft remain, whilst I see many negatives with the EU, I was worried about the timing; having it done at a time with a prime minister who was a strong tory remain advocate. a year before the referendum, I was more on the side of leaving, but there were too many benefits of remaining, which could have been handled well if it were planned out for years. I think we would be better off leaving with a Labour government, as Corbyn has been a critic of the EU for many years and tbh I think he secretly supported the leave campaign.
epicnm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The handling of Brexit has been catastrophic to say the least and will continue to be catastrophic under a Hunt or even more so Boris government.
I think regardless of your position of Brexit, it needs to be brought back to the people in both a general election and second vote.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Well I was a soft remain, whilst I see many negatives with the EU, I was worried about the timing; having it done at a time with a prime minister who was a strong tory remain advocate. a year before the referendum, I was more on the side of leaving, but there were too many benefits of remaining, which could have been handled well if it were planned out for years. I think we would be better off leaving with a Labour government, as Corbyn has been a critic of the EU for many years and tbh I think he secretly supported the leave campaign.
This makes little sense. Corbyn may believe in Brexit but the only reason he'd pass a deal would be because it would be even softer than May's.

It's like Corbyn's manifesto pledge to end rail strikes.. his policy is to capitulate so of course things get sorted.
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
This makes little sense. Corbyn may believe in Brexit but the only reason he'd pass a deal would be because it would be even softer than May's.

It's like Corbyn's manifesto pledge to end rail strikes.. his policy is to capitulate so of course things get sorted.
I don't see your point, I stated that I was a soft remainer. I just think leaving be handled better by a Government whose leader has been critical of the EU.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
I don't see your point, I stated that I was a soft remainer. I just think leaving be handled better by a Government whose leader has been critical of the EU.
What i'm saying is that May's failure was not being a remainer (that only cost her in March when she flaked on no deal).

Corbyn would have got Brexit through parliament.. but only because the deal would have been softer than May's. Nothing to do with his belief.
DigitalSheppard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Brexit, regardless of how you feel about it, has been handled poorly.

Personally, I feel we need a second referendum for a few reasons:

- Incorrect claims from parties - such as the £350million going to the NHS
- Not really knowing what an exit would involve
- Cambridge Analytica, budget violations, and the associated legality concerns

Consequently, this second referendum should have three options:

- Revoke Article 50 and stay in the EU
- Accept the withdrawal agreement
- Do not accept the agreement and leave without a deal

However, the ramifications of each of these should be communicated clearly to the general public.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by DigitalSheppard)
Brexit, regardless of how you feel about it, has been handled poorly.

Personally, I feel we need a second referendum for a few reasons:

- Incorrect claims from parties - such as the £350million going to the NHS
- Not really knowing what an exit would involve
- Cambridge Analytica, budget violations, and the associated legality concerns

Consequently, this second referendum should have three options:

- Revoke Article 50 and stay in the EU
- Accept the withdrawal agreement
- Do not accept the agreement and leave without a deal

However, the ramifications of each of these should be communicated clearly to the general public.
Having a second referendum will just cause more problems. IF it is revoked but you still get: The 130 hard brexit MP's, the 400+ MP's in areas that voted Brexit (the issue becomes much much complex, when you consider are MP's representing constituents)
What if turnout is lower?
What if UKIP/Brexit party soar in the polls in 6 months, or a year or 2 years 3.........
A second referendum will either confirm Brexit or (much worse) kicks the can down the road and it becomes a lingering issue that regurgitates every few months, in particular at general elections.

The only way i can see a 2nd referendum working is if a new deal is negotiated, it passes through parliament on the condition of it going back to the people, then we decide. But this requires a new deal first, and to through parliament first.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
You mention that you are paranoid because of Brexit.

Can you outline what is causing this irrational fear? The thought that your nation would no longer be subject to foreign law? The thought that we would no longer be subject to EU state aid rules and as such could discriminate in favour of British firms? The thought that we would no longer be part of the largest subsidy programme on the planet (the common aggricultural policy)?

Please expand on your fears.
Nothing much really. Just the fact that we depend Europe for everything from onions to wheel barrow wheels.

And I also worry that in the future our government won't take action on progressive Europeans ideas like human rights, environmental improvements and consumer rights.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
For me, Brexit is an act of economic self-harm. Just less of one if we have a deal with the EU. The people who will suffer most are those on low incomes.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
For me, Brexit is an act of economic self-harm. Just less of one if we have a deal with the EU. The people who will suffer most are those on low incomes.
2 days ago the CEO of a major British manufacturer said, no deal is better than no answer, ie the longer we kick the problem down the road the worse for business, jobs etc. We just need to get it done, negotiate & leave, leave with no deal or stay permanently.

As well as the lack of clarity, people are just sick of the issue, its painful and no one really knows the long term economic effects 5, 10, 15 years down the road (nor does any model) despite what the FT might say. Lets just hurry up and make a decision.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Nothing much really. Just the fact that we depend Europe for everything from onions to wheel barrow wheels.

And I also worry that in the future our government won't take action on progressive Europeans ideas like human rights, environmental improvements and consumer rights.
Our government is a function of a large plurality of our populous so what you are really saying is this country is not left wing enough for you.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Our government is a function of a large plurality of our populous so what you are really saying is this country is not left wing enough for you.
Not at all. If ever there was a conservative issue it is the environment. After all, is conservative not from "to conserve"?

I have become rather ambivalent about Brexit. The sh1t will hit the fan and there is a part of me that is looking forward to seeing folks suck eggs. But it is ultimately going to hurt us all and if one thing is certain, it isn't going to create the political change the disenfranchised think it will. In 10 years time, it will still be business sponsored Etonian Oxbridge politicians running the country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (69)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (395)
57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.14%

Watched Threads