Black Privilege Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have it.

I feel that when applying for certain jobs, because employers want to be given a positive public image for diversity etc, they will actively look to employ people from minority ethnicities, hence I'm more likely to get a job offer in certain places. Of course not talking about McDonalds, kfc, etc.

When in public, NOT ALL, but many people may feel threatened by me just due to my colour and its stigmas. Great for introverts but not great if you are a bubbly guy.

I am treated well by the law, maybe because I'm not into what the BBC show as typical black behaviour, such as selling drugs, gangs etc.
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I agree in part; as a black bisexual person, with the increasing push for diversity, companies are actually overcompensating. I'm not against diversity, but when companies open up schemes exclusively for ethnic minorities, I can't help but have a sour taste in my mouth. This constant need to make up for past struggles makes no sense to me considering a person should not be judged for their ancestors' crimes. I find it degrading when treated as some oppressed minority, when I'm just a person and individuals each have their own 'privileges' in society. Is a poor white man from a council estate privileged? Of course not.
Paolo3100
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
segregation in the 90s meant blacks got poorer housing which led to them mostly going to poorer schools.
To stop the institutional poverty passing from one generation to another schemes are set especially to support ethnic minorities
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mike172
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Same thing is happening with women. I work in an industry that is very hot on getting more females in even though the vast majority of people interested/suitably qualified are male.

It’s patronising, demeaning and discriminatory.

When talking in the context of the workplace a job should either be given or withheld based on merit and absolutely nothing else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.14%
No I am happy with my course choice (404)
56.9%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.23%

Watched Threads