The Student Room Group

Noisy student accom...driving me nuts!!

I am currently living in student accommodation over summer. However there are NCS groups also staying in the same place (aka groups of ~60ish 16/17 year olds). For some reason from 5pm to 11pm they like to congregate in the courtyard and make as much noise as possible, from screaming to kicking around footballs at walls, to laughing obnoxiously. This is annoying since my floor is ridiculously hot and humid and I need to keep windows open. I have sent about 5 noise complaints to reception and have received no confirmation that they'll do something nor has anything been done. It also conveniently always seems to be shut when the noise is most problematic. I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions of what to do??
NCS groups require a responsible adult to be in close proximity to the kids to supervise, you could go look for the leader and have a word with them. May work, may not.

If all else fails, could you just deal with it for the next day or so? NCS kids only do these residential trips for a couple days. By next week you'll have your peace and quiet again! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by CTLeafez
NCS groups require a responsible adult to be in close proximity to the kids to supervise, you could go look for the leader and have a word with them. May work, may not.

If all else fails, could you just deal with it for the next day or so? NCS kids only do these residential trips for a couple days. By next week you'll have your peace and quiet again! :h:

Thanks for your reply! I'll try speaking to the supervisor next time.
Unfortunately there are consecutive groups until mid August :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently living in student accommodation over summer. However there are NCS groups also staying in the same place (aka groups of ~60ish 16/17 year olds). For some reason from 5pm to 11pm they like to congregate in the courtyard and make as much noise as possible, from screaming to kicking around footballs at walls, to laughing obnoxiously. This is annoying since my floor is ridiculously hot and humid and I need to keep windows open. I have sent about 5 noise complaints to reception and have received no confirmation that they'll do something nor has anything been done. It also conveniently always seems to be shut when the noise is most problematic. I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions of what to do??

Most halls have a 'noise curfew' which starts at 11pm (or thereabouts), so the management might see it as acceptable/expected at 5-11pm. Could you invest in some noise-cancelling headphones or earplugs?
(edited 4 years ago)
Is it university owned or privately managed halls? I would've thought that universities would handle the noise complaints.
Original post by Anonymous

Hey, I understand this is annoying!! Have you tried going into reception when they are open to tallk to them about it in person?
Sophia :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Most halls have a 'noise curfew' which starts at 11pm (or thereabouts), so the management might see it as acceptable/expected at 5-11pm. Could you invest in some noise-cancelling headphones or earplugs?

Yeah the curfew starts after 11pm as I went down to talk to reception about it today. It's just annoying because I can't get any work done from 5-11pm cos it's so bloody loud. Noise cancelling headphones are a good shout tho!
Reply 7
Original post by stabilo20619
Is it university owned or privately managed halls? I would've thought that universities would handle the noise complaints.

Private
Reply 8
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey, I understand this is annoying!! Have you tried going into reception when they are open to tallk to them about it in person?
Sophia :smile:

Yes, they gave me the number to the security night line and to report it there if it happens again. I'm not entirely sure what they could do since they aren't there physically but I guess I'll try that anyway?
I understand your frustration. When I was in halls, all day there would be some kind of very loud unnecessary noise and it did make it difficult to get work done. But unfortunately because it's during acceptable hours (i.e. nobody is sleeping) there's not much really to do. I agree with speaking to the leader of the group, and also buying earplugs or headphones to drown out the noise. Not much else you can do except that, or alternatively try going to a local cafe to get work done in the evenings.
Noise is such a problem in halls in general. It's part of student life, one of the cons. It's something you have to just come to terms and deal with.
If you can't stop them, headphones, earphones, earplugs, music, maybe even launching one of your least favourite shoes out your window at their heads.
Jokes aside, try to explore some options to drown it out. Student halls are hot as hell, so I know the feeling!

Wishing you all the best,
Joshua
I disagree that excessive noise is something that has to be accepted.

On a weekday, noise should be kept at a minimum after 9. Anyone who is up until 11 shouting and partying on a weekday probably shouldn't be at university?
Hey,

It's each to their own, but weekdays are for students. There are places you can party Monday through Friday. I don't think loud noise is acceptable, but these are young adults in the prime of their lives. Unless you're going to phone the police every time you hear excessive noise, it's easier to make strategy on how to deal with it.

As someone who's in their second (but technically third) year at University. I've partied on every day of the week. I don't think I lose any credit as a university student for it. Course times are different for everyone, some days better for others.

Joshua :u:
Original post by stabilo20619
I disagree that excessive noise is something that has to be accepted.

On a weekday, noise should be kept at a minimum after 9. Anyone who is up until 11 shouting and partying on a weekday probably shouldn't be at university?
My point is that it's disrespectful to your fellow hall residents if you're making noise on a weekday.

It just comes across as selfish to disrupt everyone because you don't have a class the next day - but most people probably do!

I lived in halls during my first year of undergrad and that sort of thing would not be tolerated by the halls management.

Quick Reply

Latest