caseyannedwards
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i have always loved marine biology, and have always known that it is what i wanted to study at university. Because of this, I have never even glanced at any other courses - until now. After visiting a couple of university open days and really starting to think about uni seriously I thought I would do a bit of extra research on some unis I would like to consider for marine bio and I also wanted to scroll through the list of courses just to make sure I was happy with marine bio. Biomedical sciences immediately caught my eye and after reading about what it entails, the different modules involved, career progression and opportunities I have fallen in LOVE with the idea of doing biomed. Obviously because I'd never looked at anything other than marine bio in the past, i had never even considered biomed. i feel really unsure what to do... the idea of not doing marine bio doesnt seem like much of a big deal anymore tbh, almost like the passion is gone, and yet i feel so excited about biomed. BUT IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO MARINE BIO. help! im not sure what the right path is...
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by caseyannedwards)
i have always loved marine biology, and have always known that it is what i wanted to study at university. Because of this, I have never even glanced at any other courses - until now. After visiting a couple of university open days and really starting to think about uni seriously I thought I would do a bit of extra research on some unis I would like to consider for marine bio and I also wanted to scroll through the list of courses just to make sure I was happy with marine bio. Biomedical sciences immediately caught my eye and after reading about what it entails, the different modules involved, career progression and opportunities I have fallen in LOVE with the idea of doing biomed. Obviously because I'd never looked at anything other than marine bio in the past, i had never even considered biomed. i feel really unsure what to do... the idea of not doing marine bio doesnt seem like much of a big deal anymore tbh, almost like the passion is gone, and yet i feel so excited about biomed. BUT IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO MARINE BIO. help! im not sure what the right path is...
Well seeing your post here, you definitely shouldn't be applying to do Medicine.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...358&highlight=
caseyannedwards
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
haha i see the confusion, my sister is considering medicine not me... please ignore this post as it is her question and not mine
(Original post by ecolier)
Well seeing your post here, you definitely shouldn't be applying to do Medicine.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...358&highlight=
Maddymcg
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm in the same boat !!! I know this is an old post but I'm still going to comment anyways lol. What did you end up deciding ?
ase.sey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Maddymcg)
I'm in the same boat !!! I know this is an old post but I'm still going to comment anyways lol. What did you end up deciding ?
you'll have to excuse that im on a new account, god only knows what my login details used to be hahah

wow i had forgotten about this post entirely! now coming back to it feels kind of crazy, because in response to your question about what i decided, i still could not give you an answer.

i ended up applying to marine biology as intended based on the fact that my entire application, personal statement too, had already been completed and i thought that my doubts were only due to nerves of applying. of course, i was wrong, because now with 5 offers from the unis i applied to and a firm decision in place i STILL do not feel like marine biology is the road i want to take.

over the past 10 months ive really been asking myself an awful lot of questions about myself, and i've also been suffering with my mental health quite badly during this time and it's left a lot of time for self reflection. given the current circumstances too that time has doubled. i now feel almost certain that i will be taking a gap year as all of the decisions ive made in the past seem to be based on a goal that i created for myself as a child that i just followed along with for too long. i definitely know now that marine biology is not what i what to do. not at all. so ive considered a lot of options and in the end decided that biomed doesnt sit right with me either. in fact, science seems to be a path that i really dont see myself going down at all anymore. its crazy really when all of my education thus far has been focused almost solely on science but, life happens!! for a few months now ive been very interested in linguistics and language, and ultimately i ended up picking up a language and literature class and i think perhaps now ive found my true calling that ive been searching for. nothing is certain, but i definitely feel closer to my truth now!!

i do apologise if this is longwinded and not really the answer you were hoping to find... i think i might have just really over-projected my emotions into this reply hahahah
Maddymcg
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ase.sey)
you'll have to excuse that im on a new account, god only knows what my login details used to be hahah

wow i had forgotten about this post entirely! now coming back to it feels kind of crazy, because in response to your question about what i decided, i still could not give you an answer.

i ended up applying to marine biology as intended based on the fact that my entire application, personal statement too, had already been completed and i thought that my doubts were only due to nerves of applying. of course, i was wrong, because now with 5 offers from the unis i applied to and a firm decision in place i STILL do not feel like marine biology is the road i want to take.

over the past 10 months ive really been asking myself an awful lot of questions about myself, and i've also been suffering with my mental health quite badly during this time and it's left a lot of time for self reflection. given the current circumstances too that time has doubled. i now feel almost certain that i will be taking a gap year as all of the decisions ive made in the past seem to be based on a goal that i created for myself as a child that i just followed along with for too long. i definitely know now that marine biology is not what i what to do. not at all. so ive considered a lot of options and in the end decided that biomed doesnt sit right with me either. in fact, science seems to be a path that i really dont see myself going down at all anymore. its crazy really when all of my education thus far has been focused almost solely on science but, life happens!! for a few months now ive been very interested in linguistics and language, and ultimately i ended up picking up a language and literature class and i think perhaps now ive found my true calling that ive been searching for. nothing is certain, but i definitely feel closer to my truth now!!

i do apologise if this is longwinded and not really the answer you were hoping to find... i think i might have just really over-projected my emotions into this reply hahahah
No honestly I think that's exactly what I needed to hear , so thank you. My parents dont want me to be a doctor because of what's going on at the moment (due to safety concerns but are still proud of you know what I mean) I've sort of settled into the idea that im just another one of the "oh you're a marine biologist, that's what I wanted to do when I was younger " person . Thank you for replying and hope you get the course you want
ase.sey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Maddymcg)
No honestly I think that's exactly what I needed to hear , so thank you. My parents dont want me to be a doctor because of what's going on at the moment (due to safety concerns but are still proud of you know what I mean) I've sort of settled into the idea that im just another one of the "oh you're a marine biologist, that's what I wanted to do when I was younger " person . Thank you for replying and hope you get the course you want
no worries!

dont ever feel like the decisions you make are final because in life everything youre unhappy with can always be changed in one way or another!! and at any moment in your life, too!

i would say the best thing to do is to make the decision that *feels* right. your heart will always tell you when that happens. & that's normally what will end up making you the happiest version of yourself you can be!!

if you ever have doubts or want to talk about any decisions you're facing, ill always be happy for you to reach out

good luck, i wish you the best!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (38)
13.97%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (39)
14.34%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (92)
33.82%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (28)
10.29%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (61)
22.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
5.15%

Watched Threads