The Student Room Group

Boyfriend going to UNI

Me and my boyfriend have a two year age gap and so he’s off to university in two months, I’m currently in tears worrying about losing him and what’s gonna happen. We want to stay together and he refuses to end things. I’m just so scared, has anyone been through the same?
Reply 1
So you've just finished your GCSEs and he has just finished his A Levels?

Ok.

You are at two different stages in your lives. It may not seem that if you're both very mature people, but the reality is, you are. He's about to get his first taste of independence and freedom. It's going to be a shock to both of your systems.

Majority of the couples I know that went to uni but different ones? Some have lasted, some have crashed and burned. But they were the same age thereabouts.

You may have to get used to him not being "on call" 24/7. He'll be wanting to enjoy his freedom. You'll probably not see him every weekend unless he is going to an uni super close; students are skint and travel can become costly.

It's going to be hard, quite frankly. So enjoy your time now. Wipe those tears off your face and have a fun summer together, but reconcile yourself to the fact that things are going to change come September.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes I’ve just had my GCSE’s and he’s just had his A Levels, thank you for the advice. To be honest I have it easy, at least he’s in the country my friends boyfriend is going abroad for uni, thank you so much.
Original post by Airmed
So you've just finished your GCSEs and he has just finished his A Levels?

Ok.

You are at two different stages in your lives. It may not seem that if you're both very mature people, but the reality is, you are. He's about to get his first taste of independence and freedom. It's going to be a shock to both of your systems.

Majority of the couples I know that went to uni but different ones? Some have lasted, some have crashed and burned. But they were the same age thereabouts.

You may have to get used to him not being "on call" 24/7. He'll be wanting to enjoy his freedom. You'll probably not see him every weekend unless he is going to an uni super close; students are skint and travel can become costly.

It's going to be hard, quite frankly. So enjoy your time now. Wipe those tears off your face and have a fun summer together, but reconcile yourself to the fact that things are going to change come September.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my boyfriend have a two year age gap and so he’s off to university in two months, I’m currently in tears worrying about losing him and what’s gonna happen. We want to stay together and he refuses to end things. I’m just so scared, has anyone been through the same?

Yes. But what exactly is your problem. Carry on dating if that's what you both want!
Reply 4
Obviously I want too and so does he it’s just I’m scared of growing apart and the distance and how hard it’ll be. I want to know the chances of us staying together.
Original post by mgi
Yes. But what exactly is your problem. Carry on dating if that's what you both want!
Obviously I want too and so does he it’s just I’m scared of growing apart and the distance and how hard it’ll be. I want to know the chances of us staying together.

Far too many external factors to 'calculate' the chances. Just make sure you communicate.
Reply 6

You cant kmow because you are not psychic! Some people stay through everything. Who knows?

So you're becoming a long-distance couple (I assume?), in which case the dynamics of your relationship will change. As said above, you're at different life stages so don't be surprised if it doesn't last or turn out how you wanted. You have to trust each other, respect each other and communicate with each other. He is probably going to go out clubbing, meeting new people etc and won't be available to talk with you or visit you all the time. It can work if you both want it to, but you have to be committed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending