Failed my Driving Test for the 5th time... Watch

eviesph
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hey guys.

So I’ve just failed my driving test for the 5th time and am feeling super demotivated. I understand the reasons for failing the first 3, but I’m a bit flabbergasted at the reasons for why I failed my last two tests.

For the 4th test, I got 4 minors and 1 major - I failed because before I went to go turn right, there was a parked van just before the junction, so I had to move over slightly onto the other side of the road to keep a safe distance from the van. No one was around, this was a quiet estate area. As I went to go move back, I didn’t look in my mirror. I got failed for that, despite the fact I had to do mirror checks to signal literally 3 seconds after I moved over. I knew there weren’t any cars around when I had checked my
mirrors for my right turn. Was extremely irritated by that, I thought the missed mirror check should have been a minor, especially since there was no one around and moving slightly onto the right hand side doesn’t cause any danger. Any car who was following the road ahead or have to turn right where I did would have had to have done the same.

For the 5th test, I was coming up to a junction on a steep hill and had to turn left - I stopped slightly (about 2 metres maybe?) behind the give way line, mainly because there’s pedestrian islands there and I didn’t want to block any pedestrians ways, plus the road ahead of me had a whole line of traffic. There was no gap for me, even some cars were in the “keep clear” section. A car behind me was indicating to turn right and due to the shape of the road and where I stopped, the car couldn’t reach the top of the give way line to turn right (not that there would have been space for either of us, it isn’t a road that’s wide enough to fit two of us safely on the road,) and it’s not like there was a gap for them to go due to the sheer volume of traffic. Despite that, I did slowly creep forward but came to a gentle stop every time I thought I had a gap to go through but didn’t. Apparently, I made the car behind me suddenly brake, which I don’t see how is possible since there was clearly a heavy volume of traffic and I didn’t even pick up enough speed to result in me suddenly braking/them suddenly braking. It was marked as a serious fault under “Use of Mirrors - Change Speed.” I didn’t cause any danger, I wasn’t misleading anyone, I didn’t suddenly and jerkily stop, I didn’t roll back, none of that. Perhaps in a situation where there was no traffic whatsoever, I would completely understand if I did that and failed, but that wasn’t the case. I didn’t want to shoot out into oncoming traffic, I wanted to maintain a safe distance from all of the cars queuing up. My examiner told me had I gone a foot or two further, I could have passed. I might be clinging onto unjustified reasoning here, but if I’m wrong, please do explain to me. I’m extremely mad. I got 6 minors and 1 serious for this test.

More than anything, it’s embarrassing. I know I can drive. My instructor genuinely believes that I’m ready for the test, I’ve had so many lessons and I’ve driven a couple of times with my family, I’ve had plenty of practice. I’ve been told that I drive safely and well. It’s disheartening too, being told so many times that you’ve failed. I need my licence, I’ve spent a lot of money on it. I’m contemplating switching to automatic (I don’t have a problem with gears and manual) but it’s seriously tempting. Everything feels like a lost cause atm. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the rant x
Last edited by eviesph; 6 days ago
pgoncalv
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It must feel bad, but I would not worry and would consider if worth even mentioning to others. I know many of my daughters friends did not say they were learning until they passed.

Anyway, one thing you may consider is to take the test in another area, perhaps the roads will be less busy or steep than where you have tried?
Exodus591
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
doesnt matter how many times you fail as long as you pass in the end just keep trying. never give up, never back down. when you pass you will forget how many times it took and u will be happy that u passed its also a life skill with great benefit
(Original post by eviesph)
Hey guys.

So I’ve just failed my driving test for the 5th time and am feeling super demotivated. I understand the reasons for failing the first 3, but I’m a bit flabbergasted at the reasons for why I failed my last two tests.

For the 4th test, I got 4 minors and 1 major - I failed because before I went to go turn right, there was a parked van just before the junction, so I had to move over slightly onto the other side of the road to keep a safe distance from the van. No one was around, this was a quiet estate area. As I went to go move back, I didn’t look in my mirror. I got failed for that, despite the fact I had to do mirror checks to signal literally 3 seconds after I moved over. I knew there weren’t any cars around when I had checked my
mirrors for my right turn. Was extremely irritated by that, I thought the missed mirror check should have been a minor, especially since there was no one around and moving slightly onto the right hand side doesn’t cause any danger. Any car who was following the road ahead or have to turn right where I did would have had to have done the same.

For the 5th test, I was coming up to a junction on a steep hill and had to turn left - I stopped slightly (about 2 metres maybe?) behind the give way line, mainly because there’s pedestrian islands there and I didn’t want to block any pedestrians ways, plus the road ahead of me had a whole line of traffic. There was no gap for me, even some cars were in the “keep clear” section. A car behind me was indicating to turn right and due to the shape of the road and where I stopped, the car couldn’t reach the top of the give way line to turn right (not that there would have been space for either of us, it isn’t a road that’s wide enough to fit two of us safely on the road,) and it’s not like there was a gap for them to go due to the sheer volume of traffic. Despite that, I did slowly creep forward but came to a gentle stop every time I thought I had a gap to go through but didn’t. Apparently, I made the car behind me suddenly brake, which I don’t see how is possible since there was clearly a heavy volume of traffic and I didn’t even pick up enough speed to result in me suddenly braking/them suddenly braking. It was marked as a serious fault under “Use of Mirrors - Change Speed.” I didn’t cause any danger, I wasn’t misleading anyone, I didn’t suddenly and jerkily stop, I didn’t roll back, none of that. Perhaps in a situation where there was no traffic whatsoever, I would completely understand if I did that and failed, but that wasn’t the case. I didn’t want to shoot out into oncoming traffic, I wanted to maintain a safe distance from all of the cars queuing up. My examiner told me had I gone a foot or two further, I could have passed. I might be clinging onto unjustified reasoning here, but if I’m wrong, please do explain to me. I’m extremely mad. I got 6 minors and 1 serious for this test.

More than anything, it’s embarrassing. I know I can drive. My instructor genuinely believes that I’m ready for the test, I’ve had so many lessons and I’ve driven a couple of times with my family, I’ve had plenty of practice. I’ve been told that I drive safely and well. It’s disheartening too, being told so many times that you’ve failed. I need my licence, I’ve spent a lot of money on it. I’m contemplating switching to automatic (I don’t have a problem with gears and manual) but it’s seriously tempting. Everything feels like a lost cause atm. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the rant x
naziak001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Maybe if you give it a rest for a while it will help because your helping your brain relax, your not pressuring your brain on that one thing instead your allowing your brain to relax slightly. Then try again after you might just see a difference. Also, book your test elsewhere it might just help
naziak001
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I agree
(Original post by Exodus591)
doesnt matter how many times you fail as long as you pass in the end just keep trying. never give up, never back down. when you pass you will forget how many times it took and u will be happy that u passed its also a life skill with great benefit
eviesph
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thanks for all of your responses, guys! I would love to do it in another test centre, I think I need a fresh start but unfortunately the nearest test centre to me is well over 15 miles away and I need to have a lot more lessons to familiarise myself with that area, but I don’t think I can afford all of lessons to cover that and get myself confident in the new test routes
anonymous1231231
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Honestly it seems you’ve just been quite ‘unlucky’ with the ‘examiners’ you’ve been getting. Someone I know was going 37 mph on a 30 mph road for quite a while but passed because he was being ‘safe’ at that speed...perhaps as someone else said, a different test center may be better, but if you can’t afford lessons there, take a break from driving and relax for a couple weeks.
Mike172
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by eviesph)
Thanks for all of your responses, guys! I would love to do it in another test centre, I think I need a fresh start but unfortunately the nearest test centre to me is well over 15 miles away and I need to have a lot more lessons to familiarise myself with that area, but I don’t think I can afford all of lessons to cover that and get myself confident in the new test routes
I’d argue that if you’d need “a lot more lessons” to familiarise yourself to a different area you’re probably not ready to take the test.

What are you going to do if you get your licence and have to drive somewhere new? You can’t just stick to the roads you know.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Doesn't sound like automatic would help as you're failing on judgement decisions on the road which is nothing to do with gears or the clutch.

Try and take on board what they say. Yes you just looked in the mirror but what if a pedestrian or motorbike etc suddenly popped out of your blind spot? May be speeding and trying to pass you. And on the junction if you start moving from a stop people will assume you're going and he was probably preparing to pull around... he shouldn't just assume as it's common to creep forwards but people do (got knocked off my bike in this situation) so you should be aware and checking your mirrors.
stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mike172)
I’d argue that if you’d need “a lot more lessons” to familiarise yourself to a different area you’re probably not ready to take the test.

What are you going to do if you get your licence and have to drive somewhere new? You can’t just stick to the roads you know.
I think it’s quite common advice to take the test somewhere you know the roads. Familiar roads are a lot easier anyway, so it means you can focus on being test-perfect more and are more likely to pass. Plus, a lot of test centres will have little tricky junctions/roads which have very specific ways of doing in order to pass- e.g. in Chester there’s a roundabout immediately after the test centre that all non-motorway traffic must be in right lane, but there’s not much signage and it wouldn’t be hard to end up on the motorway (immediate fail).

Just driving normally it’s not an issue- just come off at the next junction and use sat nav or road signs to get back on track, but in a test there’s a proper procedure to pass and you can’t go on the motorway.
eviesph
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Mike172)

Well obviously, that’s a given. Of course in real life driving you’re going to encounter roads that you’ve never experienced before. But every test route has little things that can cause someone to fail and it’s not necessarily obvious to an inexperienced learner like me. You have to do all of that MSM nonsense, focus on a hundred different other things AND drive in a “safe” manner. To me, confidence is key to passing your test. You’re not going to be as confident as you could be when you’re driving in unfamiliar places.
Bubblylibra
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
From personal experience I know how discouraging it can be to fail 5 times. The only thing you can do is keep going and stop thinking that “it’s embarrassing” - don’t make yourself feel worse! At the end of the day you will eventually pass and oh my... so much weight will come off your shoulders.

Remember that you have to be super confident and make your examiner feel comfortable. It sounds like you need to work a little more on your judgment in certain situations and THAT’S FINE. x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
seraphim19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
lmao tfl is ur new best friend
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
57.02%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.33%

Watched Threads