University of west london- taking a break from uni? Watch

ILoveSunsets
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi everyone
Im on my summer holidays and start my final year of studies this september. I have been having issues with my health and may need to have surgery around august/september. Doctor says it will take 8-12 weeks to fully recover from abdominal surgery. Since its my final year and will be doing a dissertation, would I be allowed to take a term off or would it have to be a year? How would this affect my student finance? Thank you.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ILoveSunsets)
Hi everyone
Im on my summer holidays and start my final year of studies this september. I have been having issues with my health and may need to have surgery around august/september. Doctor says it will take 8-12 weeks to fully recover from abdominal surgery. Since its my final year and will be doing a dissertation, would I be allowed to take a term off or would it have to be a year? How would this affect my student finance? Thank you.
You need to speak to your department/tutor or the student advisor.

Normally they have suspension of studies procedures..

Your issue is that 3 months is a long time out and your exams will be happening in the Spring/ Summer no matter what you want.

It might be wiser just to defer your year band if bored you can always write your dissertation during the suspended year. Health comes first.
The danger is if you dont have enough time then you mess up your entire degree.

If you defer then you will cease to be a student or at least the period you arent a student you would receive no student finance as you wouldnt be a student. You can take a term off if they let you, but you wouldnt be a student for finance purposes. You could hide and not attend lectures, but if they have issues such as attendance , then that could mess your degree up.
ILoveSunsets
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hey, thanks for your response. Mine is 100% courseworks and no exams. I dont know if I would be able to take a year out as I really want to graduate next year. I will be contacting my university to talk about it but you are right; my health does come first. Im just worried about my dissertation as I wont find out information about it if I dont attend my classes in september.
(Original post by 999tigger)
You need to speak to your department/tutor or the student advisor.

Normally they have suspension of studies procedures..

Your issue is that 3 months is a long time out and your exams will be happening in the Spring/ Summer no matter what you want.

It might be wiser just to defer your year band if bored you can always write your dissertation during the suspended year. Health comes first.
The danger is if you dont have enough time then you mess up your entire degree.

If you defer then you will cease to be a student or at least the period you arent a student you would receive no student finance as you wouldnt be a student. You can take a term off if they let you, but you wouldnt be a student for finance purposes. You could hide and not attend lectures, but if they have issues such as attendance , then that could mess your degree up.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ILoveSunsets)
Hey, thanks for your response. Mine is 100% courseworks and no exams. I dont know if I would be able to take a year out as I really want to graduate next year. I will be contacting my university to talk about it but you are right; my health does come first. Im just worried about my dissertation as I wont find out information about it if I dont attend my classes in september.
I believe that makes it somewhat easier.
Take the time off as health comes first.
Agree with the uni an exctended period and graduate the following winter with postgrads. That should give you enough time to cover for the period missed, although you still need to make sure you have lecture content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads