Failing a resit... help!! Watch

Student_222
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So I just finished first year in June 2019, my degree is in Biochemistry and in first year we were told to take extra credits as I only had 60/120 credits in year 1 actually relating to my degree so the other 60 was up to us to choose. I (stupidly) chose finance as one of them and its worth 15 credits. I guess when I chose I didnt fully understand how the whole credit thing works and thought it would just be a 'fun' course to take.

Anyway I actually found this particular course very hard, I failed the December initial exam by 2%!! and then failed the one last week by 4%!! Im not sure what to do as im really worried they wont let me into 2nd year and I really dont want to have to repeat a year because of a course that isn't even to do with my degree. I have passed every other 105 credits relating and not relating to by degree with As, Bs and one C

My university said they allow up to 3 attempts to pass a course but and that it will be up to my department to decide if they will allow me to progress into 2nd year with this credit shortfall.

I was just wondering
a) what happens if I fail the 3rd resit as I actually found it really hard to understand (in fact the pass rate for the 1st exam was only 40% so no idea how many people also failed the resit)
b) how likely will I be able to go into 2nd year?

Thanks in advanced
Last edited by Student_222; 6 days ago
David B
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
A) You'll probably have to either resit the year or switch course. It's up to the discretion of your department. In my university, if you failed, there were some instances where you were able to study the module during the second year alongside your other modules.
B) I wouldn't worry too much about this. In the worst case scenario, you'll have to resit your year, which may be better overall, as you'll be able to rechoose your modules.

Additionally, depending on how much you fail by, they may allow you to continue anyway.
Student_222
Rep:
?
(Original post by David B)
A) You'll probably have to either resit the year or switch course. It's up to the discretion of your department. In my university, if you failed, there were some instances where you were able to study the module during the second year alongside your other modules.
B) I wouldn't worry too much about this. In the worst case scenario, you'll have to resit your year, which may be better overall, as you'll be able to rechoose your modules.

Additionally, depending on how much you fail by, they may allow you to continue anyway.
Thanks for the reply, but I really dont want to have to resit a year, as its costly as it is and it just doesn't seem fair to have to spend an extra year on a course that isn't even my degree
Student_222
Rep:
?
I should also maybe mention that im at university in Scotland which is 4 years not 3, and honours courses dont start until 3rd year (if that will make a difference I dont know?)
David B
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Student_222)
Thanks for the reply, but I really dont want to have to resit a year, as its costly as it is and it just doesn't seem fair to have to spend an extra year on a course that isn't even my degree
That's understandable. You only failed by 2%. I'm sure they'll not prevent you from continuing because of 2%.

I would try to think more optimistic. You certainly don't need to do too much more to make up 2%.

When is your final resit scheduled for?
Student_222
Rep:
?
That's understandable. You only failed by 2%. I'm sure they'll not prevent you from continuing because of 2%.

I would try to think more optimistic. You certainly don't need to do too much more to make up 2%.

When is your final resit scheduled for?
Not until December
Student_222
Rep:
?
Not until December
I technically haven't schduled it but it just said on the university website that the next resit would be then
David B
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I technically haven't schduled it but it just said on the university website that the next resit would be then
Does your resits get capped at 40%? My university capped all resits to just a passing grade.
Student_222
Rep:
?
Does your resits get capped at 40%? My university capped all resits to just a passing grade.
Yes it does
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.14%
No I am happy with my course choice (404)
56.9%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.23%

Watched Threads