Manchester or HKU or Aalto for banking/financial career Watch

kalq18
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So here is my situation
I did the IB diploma in a Finnish public high school. With my predicteds I applied to unis such as LSE, Bath, etc. However, I was unlucky (and lazy) enough to get 3 points below my predicteds, ending up with 37 points (HL:666, SL:665, +2) equivalent to AAA in A-level terms. Missing a 7 in standard level math by 2 percentage points I was rejected from my firm Bath (LSE rejected me outright). UCAS has dropped my firm to my third choice, which is the University of Mancester BA(econ) Accounting and Finance. This is the only one that my results met. Other than the UK I have also been accepted to the top Finnish Aalto university for digital systems and I have applied for some majors in HKU (Economics and Finance, with last year's lower acceptance boundary being 34-ish)

I am now stuck in a situation where I have to choose the lesser of the evils, so to speak. What is a choice that would better equip me to finding a job in the financial industries in the anglophone/commonwealth countries? Manchester is in the middle of nowhere (regarding financial institutions), HKU is in Hong Kong, but I don't see my future being there (I have spent my childhood there, and I speak cantonese), Aalto is in Finland, the best university in not the best country with not the best major. I really am puzzled, and don't want to make a decision which I will regret later.

Also, is the adjustment programme any good (given manchester's offer was 35 with 665, I did fulfill the condition of "exceeding" my firm albeit narrowly)

Another thing would be that how the BA(Econ) would look to an employer as compared to a normal BSci

Sorry for the long post. I should really be talking to a counselor but my school is on holiday and I don't have much time
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by kalq18)
So here is my situation
I did the IB diploma in a Finnish public high school. With my predicteds I applied to unis such as LSE, Bath, etc. However, I was unlucky (and lazy) enough to get 3 points below my predicteds, ending up with 37 points (HL:666, SL:665, +2) equivalent to AAA in A-level terms. Missing a 7 in standard level math by 2 percentage points I was rejected from my firm Bath (LSE rejected me outright). UCAS has dropped my firm to my third choice, which is the University of Mancester BA(econ) Accounting and Finance. This is the only one that my results met. Other than the UK I have also been accepted to the top Finnish Aalto university for digital systems and I have applied for some majors in HKU (Economics and Finance, with last year's lower acceptance boundary being 34-ish)

I am now stuck in a situation where I have to choose the lesser of the evils, so to speak. What is a choice that would better equip me to finding a job in the financial industries in the anglophone/commonwealth countries? Manchester is in the middle of nowhere (regarding financial institutions), HKU is in Hong Kong, but I don't see my future being there (I have spent my childhood there, and I speak cantonese), Aalto is in Finland, the best university in not the best country with not the best major. I really am puzzled, and don't want to make a decision which I will regret later.

Also, is the adjustment programme any good (given manchester's offer was 35 with 665, I did fulfill the condition of "exceeding" my firm albeit narrowly)

Another thing would be that how the BA(Econ) would look to an employer as compared to a normal BSci

Sorry for the long post. I should really be talking to a counselor but my school is on holiday and I don't have much time
It doesn't really sound to me like you are particularly keen on any of the options available to you. There really isn't any benefit in making a rushed decision which isn't really right for you - you may end up in a situation where you are stuck in a course you aren't enjoying.

In order to access Adjustment you need to meet all of your conditions and exceed at least one of them. It doesn't open until 15th August, so you have some time to think about a plan of action.

We have some FAQs on Adjustment which you might find useful:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6018120
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads