Applying for funding but unsure if I will actually be doing the course yet... Watch

Lornquinn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
#1
Hi all.

I’ve applied to do a Psychology Masters conversion at a few London unis. I’ve got an unconditional from LSBU, still waiting to hear from the two others. However, doing this masters is my “back up” in case a job I have applied for falls through. This job is via the NHS and includes a PG Dip (paid for), so if I get this job I will not be going ahead with the masters this year.

My question is this:
Should I apply for funding now, so that if I do take up the masters course then it is at least sorted, or should I wait until mid August when I will know about this job offer? I’m concerned about leaving the funding too late, should I need it. But, I’m also concerned about applying for the funding, then not using it this year, and shooting myself in the foot should I need funding for a masters later in life.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you in advance!
0
reply
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#2
Report 1 week ago
#2
If you apply and then don't start the course then the application will be cancelled (or you can cancel it yourself through the SFE website) - it wont stop you applying and being eligible for a PGL again in the future.
1
reply
Lornquinn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
#3
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
#3
That’s wonderful to know, thank you so much
(Original post by PQ)
If you apply and then don't start the course then the application will be cancelled (or you can cancel it yourself through the SFE website) - it wont stop you applying and being eligible for a PGL again in the future.
0
reply
SFE Tegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
#4
Report 2 days ago
#4
(Original post by Lornquinn)
Hi all.

I’ve applied to do a Psychology Masters conversion at a few London unis. I’ve got an unconditional from LSBU, still waiting to hear from the two others. However, doing this masters is my “back up” in case a job I have applied for falls through. This job is via the NHS and includes a PG Dip (paid for), so if I get this job I will not be going ahead with the masters this year.

My question is this:
Should I apply for funding now, so that if I do take up the masters course then it is at least sorted, or should I wait until mid August when I will know about this job offer? I’m concerned about leaving the funding too late, should I need it. But, I’m also concerned about applying for the funding, then not using it this year, and shooting myself in the foot should I need funding for a masters later in life.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you in advance!
Hi Lornquinn,

You can make the application now and cancel this in the future however if you decide not to attend then it's important you cancel the application as soon as possible. If you need to cancel the application you can do this through your online account. You can contact us on Facebook or Twitter if you have any difficulty with this.

Thanks, Tégan
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads

View All