The Student Room Group

UCAS Clearing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by EleaGR
Oh, no! Why did you wait? The minute they told you you are eligible you should have done what they asked to get the offer through email!
I'm sure you'll find something else, but this time make sure you get it in writing and I'm afraid you won't have the luxury to wait for Sheffield. You may have to make a decision within 5 days.

Yes well even though I had applied two days ago, they can do whatever they like until I get the verbal offer so I believe that even though I had applied two days ago, it would have not made a significant difference. Regardless I have registered for Exeter and their clearing offer has not changed so we will see.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by returnmigrant
They can do what they like right up to when you receive an email or other 'in writing' telling you that you have been accepted on the basis of the information you have given them. A verbal 'yes, you have the grades, we are interested in you' phone chat has NO meaning at all. This person was told to register and formally apply through the website, they didn't and lost the potential offer. This is Clearing - not 'go away and think about it for 2 days'. Lesson to all.

Right but even though I had applied two days ago, up to when I receive the email, they would have changed their clearing offer regardless so it would have not made a huge difference. I did not search up Queenmary clearing until Monday so. Also, I applied through the phone but I didn't get any confirmation email so Imma call them up again to see whether r not my data went through their system.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 42
Well, I also got an offer(via email) from Queenmary, but yes I should learn from my mistake and should have registered a long time ago. Thank you all for this important lesson that I should have known about.
Reply 43
Original post by NMJerry
Well, I also got an offer(via email) from Queenmary, but yes I should learn from my mistake and should have registered a long time ago. Thank you all for this important lesson that I should have known about.

👏👏👏 Congrats on your offer! Now you can relax a bit. What is the deadline they gave you to add them? What are you planning to do with Sheffield?
Reply 44
Original post by EleaGR
👏👏👏 Congrats on your offer! Now you can relax a bit. What is the deadline they gave you to add them? What are you planning to do with Sheffield?

Well, I have one from Exeter too and they want a reply by tomorrow. Whereas Queenmary wants one by 24th of July. I am personally for Queenmary because I used to live in London and they have a good Politics and Management course.
And Sheffield, I kinda gave up on that because ultimately it makes no significant difference.
Reply 45
Original post by NMJerry
Well, I have one from Exeter too and they want a reply by tomorrow. Whereas Queenmary wants one by 24th of July. I am personally for Queenmary because I used to live in London and they have a good Politics and Management course.

Oh, that is great! 👌 I am so happy for you! So now you have a nice problem to solve! Just make sure you don't miss the deadline!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer ! 😊
Exeter is an absolutely excellent top drawer university it would be the best rated university.
Original post by swanseajack1
Exeter is an absolutely excellent top drawer university it would be the best rated university.

'Best rated' - for what and by whom?

And what on earth does 'absolutely excellent top drawer' actually mean, and how do you measure it??
it is the highest rated by cug, gug and Times/Sunday Times. They cant all be wrong. Ranked 11th overall by CUG, Sheffield 33rd and Queen M ary 41st. Exeter ranked 9th for History, Sheffield 10th Queen Mary 33rd Business Exeter 3rd Sheffield 16th Queen Mary 43rd. Guardian 10th Sheffield 45th Queen Mary 83rd

'Best rated' - for what and by whom?

And what on earth does 'absolutely excellent top drawer' actually mean, and how do you measure it??
Reply 49
it is the highest rated by cug, gug and Times/Sunday Times. They cant all be wrong. Ranked 11th overall by CUG, Sheffield 33rd and Queen M ary 41st. Exeter ranked 9th for History, Sheffield 10th Queen Mary 33rd Business Exeter 3rd Sheffield 16th Queen Mary 43rd. Guardian 10th Sheffield 45th Queen Mary 83rd

I will be honest, ranks do matter to some extent, but I believe it's the work ethic you put into it. No matter if you go to a university with the subject you intend to study is one of the highest in the country, if you cannot keep up with studies and fall out in grades, it won't help you regardless. Also, regardless of where you graduate, employment will not only look at the uni you studied but also what you achieved within the uni. It's all about perspective though, I cannot say my way is straightforward or correct but I believe this is one way of thinking it.

Please explain how any of this nebulous nonsense helps anyone choose a course they will enjoy studying, and at a University where they will feel comfortable.

Its all designed to market newspapers - it has no other purpose.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 51
Please explain how any of this nebulous nonsense helps anyone choose a course they will enjoy studying, and at a University where they will feel comfortable.

Its all designed to market newspapers - it has no other purpose.

I mean dude, this ain't nonsense. Honestly, this doesn't mean everything but it helps to give an indication of the uni's reputations across the nation. Keeping this in mind, it's only a domestic approach to ranking things. Globally, this can be different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending