Why are Iran stirring up an issue? Watch

TheNamesBond.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
If you've been watching the news lately you'll have seen that Iran has now begun messing with the UK, 'it comes after police in Gibraltar arrested the captain and chief officer of the detained Iranian Grace 1 supertanker accused of violating EU sanctions on Syria.

And on Wednesday, a Royal Navy frigate trained its guns on three Iranian boats seeking to force an oil tanker off its route.

The military clash took place late evening as the tanker was travelling through the Strait of Hormuz.

The threat level has been raised to critical in Iranian waters since Tuesday.

I don't know what Iran is thinking, but playing up with the US and then the UK is not a smart decision, they need to back off.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...6nD?li=BBoPWjQ
howtochangename
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
A British tanker has entered Iran's waters

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive/st...20843178827777

It looks like the UK and USA are looking to provoke Iran into being defensive so that they attack them
Royalist Blue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by howtochangename)

It looks like the UK and USA are looking to provoke Iran into being defensive so that they attack them
We dont physically have to enter war with them using peace through strength is the best strategy.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago

Great source, lets see it being confirmed from somewhere credible .
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
If you've been watching the news lately you'll have seen that Iran has now begun messing with the UK, 'it comes after police in Gibraltar arrested the captain and chief officer of the detained Iranian Grace 1 supertanker accused of violating EU sanctions on Syria.

And on Wednesday, a Royal Navy frigate trained its guns on three Iranian boats seeking to force an oil tanker off its route.

The military clash took place late evening as the tanker was travelling through the Strait of Hormuz.
That isnt a military clash. specifically it was a lack of a clash, if you had read the report.

I don't know what Iran is thinking, but playing up with the US and then the UK is not a smart decision, they need to back off.
I'm going to have to assume you dont know the background to this if you think "Iran is playing up", As opposed to reacting to events.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Every large vessel entering the Staits of Hormuz is forced to enter Iranian territorial waters as it has to comply with the traffic separation scheme that operates for reasons of safety. This is not news.

:facepalm::sadnod:
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
That isnt a military clash. specifically it was a lack of a clash, if you had read the report.

It was a military clash, they don't need to be shooting at each other and heads flying off people's bodies for it to be classed as a military clash.
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Every large vessel entering the Staits of Hormuz is forced to enter Iranian territorial waters as it has to comply with the traffic separation scheme that operates for reasons of safety. This is not news.

:facepalm::sadnod:
It is because it's the UK, and everything the US and its allies do is a flagrant attempt to undermine the Iranian government.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It was a military clash, they don't need to be shooting at each other and heads flying off people's bodies for it to be classed as a military clash.
Actually thats the definition of a clash...
Looking at each other across the Gulf hardly counts as anything overly significant.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It is because it's the UK, and everything the US and its allies do is a flagrant attempt to undermine the Iranian government.
In exactly the same way that a Danish ship sailing through the straits of Dover is a flagrant attempt to undermine both the British and French governments.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Its hardly an unreasonable, if somewhat over excitable, responce from the Iranians given their hisotrical and present relations with the US.
Staging coups, shooting down airliners, supporting terror groups in Iran, repeatedly calling for 'regime change'. Say what you will about the government in Tehran but they have every right to be suspicious of US actions.
yeetboi_105
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
bout to catch iran slippin
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Its hardly an unreasonable, if somewhat over excitable, responce from the Iranians given their hisotrical and present relations with the US.
Staging coups, shooting down airliners, supporting terror groups in Iran, repeatedly calling for 'regime change'. Say what you will about the government in Tehran but they have every right to be suspicious of US actions.
No, I don't see the UK or the US attempting to seize an Iranian ship, the past does not give you a reason to act impulsively and haphazard.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
No, I don't see the UK or the US attempting to seize an Iranian ship, the past does not give you a reason to act impulsively and haphazard.
The UK did just seize an Iranian ship.. Never mind the assets seized by the US.
Maybe not but that's not really the point i was driving at in my comment. Although one should bear in mind that there can be a rather stark difference between what Iran does and what the IRGC does.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think the Iranians are trying to bully the West and Nato into accepting their nuclear weapons, with a heavy tone of ”would be a shame if (to pick an example) Taunton became a mushroom cloud, nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean”. The best thing to do here is to attack (conventionally) Iranian nuclear bases before they get a weapon they can browbeat/threaten us with.
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
The UK did just seize an Iranian ship.. Never mind the assets seized by the US.
Maybe not but that's not really the point i was driving at in my comment. Although one should bear in mind that there can be a rather stark difference between what Iran does and what the IRGC does.
So what if they seized an Iranian ship, firstly, where is the source, from some second rate twitter news account, and let's say it's real, what do you expect them to do, wave them on by, if someone commits an action like Iran has, they must be punished.
(Original post by Napp)
Actually thats the definition of a clash...
Looking at each other across the Gulf hardly counts as anything overly significant.
Are you seriously going to debate what it was called, it said 'military clash' in the report, since you seem to care so much about accuracy, read it.

'And on Wednesday, a Royal Navy frigate trained its guns on three Iranian boats seeking to force an oil tanker off its route'.

Whether or not people were killed, it is still a clash of two militaries, you seem to be near to an argument where you're saying Iran wasn't even behind this, an unrelated group was.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
So what if they seized an Iranian ship, firstly, where is the source, from some second rate twitter news account, and let's say it's real, what do you expect them to do, wave them on by, if someone commits an action like Iran has, they must be punished.
What do you mean 'where is the source' the government have publicly admitted to landing marines on Grace-1 :lol: This is hardly a secret.
Of course :rolleyes:
Pray tell what you mean by 'punished' though? This isnt the school yard.
Are you seriously going to debate what it was called, it said 'military clash' in the report, since you seem to care so much about accuracy, read it.

'And on Wednesday, a Royal Navy frigate trained its guns on three Iranian boats seeking to force an oil tanker off its route'.

Whether or not people were killed, it is still a clash of two militaries, you seem to be near to an argument where you're saying Iran wasn't even behind this, an unrelated group was.
An MSN article does not a report make.
Do you want me to crack open a dictionary? Okay lets see what it says;
clash
noun
a violent confrontation.
"there have been minor clashes with security forces"
synonyms: confrontation, skirmish, brush, encounter, engagement, collision, incident, conflict, fight, battle; More

Ergo this was not a clash.

No if you had read what I said was that there is a difference between official Iranian government policy and that of the IRGC.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
I think the Iranians are trying to bully the West and Nato into accepting their nuclear weapons, with a heavy tone of ”would be a shame if (to pick an example) Taunton became a mushroom cloud, nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean”.
It's a touch hard to accept what does not exist, no?
The best thing to do here is to attack (conventionally) Iranian nuclear bases before they get a weapon they can browbeat/threaten us with.
Need one point out that the possession of a nuclear weapon is one thing. The ability to deliver it is quite another. Never mind the fact, as aforementioned, everyone is in universal agreement that Iran not only does not have nuclear weapons but has no active nuclear weapons plan.
Let me put it to you this way, how would you react if someone blew up a nuclear reactor in Britain on unfounded accusations and caused another Chernobyl? As that is exactly, and without question, what you just suggested...
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
What do you mean 'where is the source' the government have publicly admitted to landing marines on Grace-1 :lol: This is hardly a secret.
Of course :rolleyes:
Pray tell what you mean by 'punished' though? This isnt the school yard.
They must be punished, no this is not a schoolyard, what's your point, did you just say that because it sounded good in your head.

(Original post by Napp)
An MSN article does not a report make.
Do you want me to crack open a dictionary? Okay lets see what it says;
clash
noun
a violent confrontation.
"there have been minor clashes with security forces"
synonyms: confrontation, skirmish, brush, encounter, engagement, collision, incident, conflict, fight, battle; More

Ergo this was not a clash.

No if you had read what I said was that there is a difference between official Iranian government policy and that of the IRGC.
Please do go on with technicalities, truth is there was some sort of military action taken to scare off the Iranians, so the usage of the phrase 'military clash' shouldn't really bother you that much, why does it bother you, they trained their guns on the Iranian boats to scare them off whilst warning them.

Why are you arguing a technicality, there is no definition to a 'military clash', it can mean anything between guns firing and people dying to what we see here, guns being at the ready and aimed at boats warning them to back off.

Instead of arguing technicalities why don't you argue something of a matter.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
They must be punished, no this is not a schoolyard, what's your point, did you just say that because it sounded good in your head.
Pray tell how then
My point is that your flippant and rather childish remark on 'punishing' a country is rather questionable.

Please do go on with technicalities, truth is there was some sort of military action taken to scare off the Iranians, so the usage of the phrase 'military clash' shouldn't really bother you that much, why does it bother you, they trained their guns on the Iranian boats to scare them off whilst warning them.
Because of your entirely false implication that there was a firefight, or just your mangling of the word.
Why are you arguing a technicality, there is no definition to a 'military clash', it can mean anything between guns firing and people dying to what we see here, guns being at the ready and aimed at boats warning them to back off.
See the previous comment.
Instead of arguing technicalities why don't you argue something of a matter.
I'm not the one focusing on a single point. I've already made several points, as opposed to your foot stamping "they must be punished".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.18%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
56.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.29%

Watched Threads