Police force takes legal action over policy requiring new officers to have a degree Watch

the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Of course! Supervision would be on a one-to-one basis and therefore very tight. No graduate would ever have to dirty his hands on a truncheon.

Seriously, we already have PCSOs who, presumably, must be either illiterates dommed to pound the beat 'til kingdom come or aspiring PCs who write essays on existentialism in their free time.
i think preference should be given to graduates with nice literary names like Cressida, Clytemnestra and Hippolyta.
and that's just the blokes

:rofl:
looloo2134
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
A person with a degree is Politics is no more able to used a taser after training than a person with a BTEC in cooking. I person would rather have a person with a BTEC who has common sentence. Than a person degree in Politics with no common sentence and talk about why crime happen.
(Original post by Napp)
Apparently not...
Maybe but on the other hand it would seem somewhat dubious to have someone with a btec in cooking or woodwork walking around with a firearm/taser.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I agree, is a pretty stupid policy, your average officer on the beat is not going to find a degree useful, skills and more training in the job is what's required not being in the classroom learning useless things, like how is a Geography degree make you any better as an officer than your colleague who just has A levels or even GCSEs? You still suck at the job while your colleague does it smoothly.
This policy will simply reduce the number of people that can be selected to join the police, and with decreasing police numbers I really think they should be thinking twice.
Something tells me 21st century will be known as the nerdy era, where society expects you to have a degree and many academic qualifications, and if you don't, you are dumb and can't be trusted ugh....
Last edited by The RAR; 2 days ago
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I am entirely happy. IThis has been the case for a very long time, very successfully, and it does not require a high level of education to understand how and when to deploy a weapon. I want my bobbies to be fit, healthy, of average intelligence, sensible, steady, reliable, able to follow appropriate instructions and able to absorb the information they are trained into. I see no need for knowledge of ancient history, high level mathematical or scientific skills or the ability to analyse an Anglo-Saxon text.
Exactly, it would be very useless and a massive waste of time within the recruitment
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
A person with a degree is Politics is no more able to used a taser after training than a person with a BTEC in cooking. I person would rather have a person with a BTEC who has common sentence. Than a person degree in Politics with no common sentence and talk about why crime happen.
Who says they have any common sense?
Also, what does politics have to do with this?
looloo2134
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
My friend is high up the police force he been their for over 25 years he join at the age 18 with a few GCSEs. He might not have a degree but what he got is common sense and a strong work effect something you don't get through a degree.
(Original post by Napp)
Who says they have any common sense?
Also, what does politics have to do with this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads