How to survive on a holiday with sh*tty parents? Watch

Blueclueless
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Info. I’m 17 and will be 18 by the time we go on holiday. Every holiday wig my family always results in arguing with the last two having my parents threaten a divorce just to get my sister and I to do what they want. Both parents are extremely manipulative and use humiliation to force me and my sister into compliance on a regular basis. I also was given a choice to go on this holiday or not but when I said I didn’t want to go I was made to)

We’re going to Bali for 2 weeks and on top of that going to see car racing win some of my dads work friends who are very rich and posh, I’ve been told multiple times that while on holiday I have to abide by a “dress code” set by my dad and have been warned several times “don’t make them uncomfortable” since I’m openly bisexual and hate wearing dresses or anything too tight (I do like how they look they just make me uncomfortable)

this pisses off my dad to no end on a daily basis especially since I cut my hair as he tells me often that I look like a boy and I’m going Through a phase. I have no idea how I’m going to survive such a sh*t holiday since I’m never allowed to do what I want and not allowed to be away from family at all. I know I’m 18 and an adult and all that but it won’t matter to them. My mom constantly allows my dad to get away with this behaviour even acting like he never hit my sister when we where younger even though she was right there when he did.

They’re both controlling manipulative and throw a public fit if I do anything “wrong” in their eyes. I have anxiety ADHD and both the constant controlling behaviour and the public humiliation send me into massive panic attacks which can actually cause me to black out or throw up.

I never wanted to go on this holiday but dose anybody have tips to help me survive while I’m there?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What exactly have they done?
Can you give specific examples?

Abiding to a dress code around certain people, though annoying, seems fair enough to me.
Again it's a family holiday, so spending time with them seems also fair enough to me
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Blueclueless)
(Info. I’m 17 and will be 18 by the time we go on holiday. Every holiday wig my family always results in arguing with the last two having my parents threaten a divorce just to get my sister and I to do what they want. Both parents are extremely manipulative and use humiliation to force me and my sister into compliance on a regular basis. I also was given a choice to go on this holiday or not but when I said I didn’t want to go I was made to)

We’re going to Bali for 2 weeks and on top of that going to see car racing win some of my dads work friends who are very rich and posh, I’ve been told multiple times that while on holiday I have to abide by a “dress code” set by my dad and have been warned several times “don’t make them uncomfortable” since I’m openly bisexual and hate wearing dresses or anything too tight (I do like how they look they just make me uncomfortable)

this pisses off my dad to no end on a daily basis especially since I cut my hair as he tells me often that I look like a boy and I’m going Through a phase. I have no idea how I’m going to survive such a sh*t holiday since I’m never allowed to do what I want and not allowed to be away from family at all. I know I’m 18 and an adult and all that but it won’t matter to them. My mom constantly allows my dad to get away with this behaviour even acting like he never hit my sister when we where younger even though she was right there when he did.

They’re both controlling manipulative and throw a public fit if I do anything “wrong” in their eyes. I have anxiety ADHD and both the constant controlling behaviour and the public humiliation send me into massive panic attacks which can actually cause me to black out or throw up.

I never wanted to go on this holiday but dose anybody have tips to help me survive while I’m there?
Your 18 you dont have to go.

But it is reasonable that if parents are going to foot the bill you abide by certain standards. Ie do activities as a family, go to meals, dress to the required atmosphere...

That said whilst on holiday you don't need to be on a leash, you can go off organise your own things, enjoy yourself. Its just about finding the right balance, explain this to your parents!

enjoy Bali sounds like a great place to go.
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
What exactly have they done?
Can you give specific examples?

Abiding to a dress code around certain people, though annoying, seems fair enough to me.
Again it's a family holiday, so spending time with them seems also fair enough to me
They hate me wearing anything I like since it’s not very “girly” they criticise me constantly for being bisexual, they force me into uncomfortable situations even when I tell them no, they take photos of me even when I ask them not to and take hundreds of photos of me after I tell them not to because they think it’s funny, they point out flaws I have, chubby belly acne and my short stature, they threaten my relationship if I don’t do what they want and more
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I have a solution. I will go to Bali in your place and act the role of a doting daughter.:wink2:
Alexty28
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Lol ****, my parents can't even afford to take me out the country. I literally do not see the problem here.
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Alexty28)
Lol ****, my parents can't even afford to take me out the country. I literally do not see the problem here.
Irrelevant
Alexty28
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Blueclueless)
Irrelevant
Not really. You are making a huge deal out of nothing. Calling your parents '*****y' because they expect you to do a few things after spending a **** tone on a holiday. Just grow up.
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Alexty28)
Not really. You are making a huge deal out of nothing. Calling your parents '*****y' because they expect you to do a few things after spending a **** tone on a holiday. Just grow up.
Irrelevant
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads