Should I include this on my CV Watch

TMWEe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi I am considering whether to include working at Next on my CV. It was a temporary summer role and I only started on the 30th on June and my last day is tomorrow. I am planning to apply for Boots when the Christmas roles come out as I worked there last Christmas temporarily. I also worked another retail job before that which only lasted two months. My worry is that future employers will reject my applications because I worked for three different companies and did not last long there. So I am not seen as loyal based on this evidence. I left my retail role in October (permanent role with probation) because my brother found out that I only get paid £4.56 and he told me to look for a better job even though I did not mind working there as it was my first job. So I took his advice and applied for Boots as a Christmas Operations Assistant. I enjoyed my time there and worked for three months but I left in January because I was not able to secure a permanent role because the department was full. I feel uneasy about mentioning the fact that I worked for Next.
Deggs_14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Maybe instead state that you worked for a few different companies including ... for a period of 6 months or whatever and then what skills you acquired from these placements? Relevant to your CV but without disclosing the ins and outs of your employment history.
unknowntsr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Put it on your CV and specify exactly that: it was a temporary summe role. Retail employees jump around form job all the time. As long as they would be shot to provide a reference it won’t look bad.
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by TMWEe)
Hi I am considering whether to include working at Next on my CV. It was a temporary summer role and I only started on the 30th on June and my last day is tomorrow. I am planning to apply for Boots when the Christmas roles come out as I worked there last Christmas temporarily. I also worked another retail job before that which only lasted two months. My worry is that future employers will reject my applications because I worked for three different companies and did not last long there. So I am not seen as loyal based on this evidence. I left my retail role in October (permanent role with probation) because my brother found out that I only get paid £4.56 and he told me to look for a better job even though I did not mind working there as it was my first job. So I took his advice and applied for Boots as a Christmas Operations Assistant. I enjoyed my time there and worked for three months but I left in January because I was not able to secure a permanent role because the department was full. I feel uneasy about mentioning the fact that I worked for Next.
If roles are hired and temporary, then that's fine. If you want to make that clear then just put

Christmas 18 Shop Assistant (seasonal), Shop Name, Town

This makes it clear you were only hired for a short period. Employers don't always have permanent contracts that come out of these seasonal roles, so nothing is implied by not continuing afterwards. So your only one with a question mark in the permanent one you left - which is not a big deal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (123)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.38%
No I am happy with my course choice (355)
56.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.63%

Watched Threads