how do i structure the introduction to my courswork essay ?! ( civil rights) Watch

archir wehab
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
doing civil rights in USA trying to say how conflict home and abroad was most significant/ impactful
I dont seem to know where to start and what to say or what not to say. should i mention historians? how balanced should the introduction be ? should i give my opinion?
Last edited by archir wehab; 1 week ago
10yearslate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How broad is the essay? When i did civil rights i started with the Civil War and went something like this:

Introduction/background on Civil War
13th/14th - Black Codes - Jim Crow
Early resistance, Fredrick Douglass, Booker T Washington, Web Du Bois etc
The impact of WW2
Civil rights 50s and 60s
Change and continuity
Conclusion

In my case it was a broad sweep essay so I had no choice but to cover all those years. If your essay is just focussing on the latter half of the civil rights movement, then the WW2 years might be a good place to start. Franklin Roosevelt's speech on the four freedoms comes to mind as a good example of the double standards held by the government at the time (and arguably to this day).

Hope this helps.
Last edited by 10yearslate; 1 week ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by archir wehab)
doing civil rights in USA trying to say how conflict home and abroad was most significant/ impactful
I dont seem to know where to start and what to say or what not to say. should i mention historians? how balanced should the introduction be ? should i give my opinion?
You havent bothered to tell people the title.
You can write your introduction later. Imo 5% of the essay should be sufficient.
Work on your plan and then the intro writes itself.
FolkPixie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Generally, introductions should introduce the topic, tell the reader what you're going to argue and outline the structure of your essay. So I'd write this last. Starting with a quotation is sometimes a nice place to start.

Write the content first, then conclude what you're arguments are and why and then go back and write your introduction. Remember to assume some prior knowledge so you don't have to describe the whole era/topic in the introduction...it's an introduction to your essay and your argument, so tell the reader what you're going to discuss and in what order.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads