KarenGribb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My son has chosen animation for his theme for art gcse. He is on sure how to do a final piece for this topic. What can he do?
Calmcalmcalmmm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KarenGribb)
My son has chosen animation for his theme for art gcse. He is on sure how to do a final piece for this topic. What can he do?
Animation requires different skills but he should speak to his art teacher for more information. It could be up to the student what he wants to do. It could be traditional animation or computer animation. One requires skills in set design, cameras, video editing e.t.c. To get started in this I recommend “the animators survival kit”. A book often credited and used in famous animation school. If its 3d he will have to have a computer able to run powerful animating software. Skills will be 3d model making, rigging, shading, video editing. He should do more research on these though, and you or he email the teacher to see what he wants. Art gcse follows AO levels which require different needs to be successful in the gcse so knowing these will be key. If I was him I would find out what I need to do for animation and practice and learn during summer as it is a daunting task. I had thoughts of being an animator, friend invited me to see what he does at aardman animations (wallace and gromit animators) and it deterred me due to the dedication and patient these people require.
Katiemick8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Remember the final piece doesnt have to be an obvious representation of the theme - it can be an interpretation, as long as he shows his thought process in his work and explains how it relates to the theme before the final piece.
For example, whilst an obvious and good choice is computer animation if thats what hes interested in, he could instead study cartoon characters and paint something involving them. Or he could study different body positions and how to body moves from one position to another. He could study manga. He could make something paper mached with old comics like the beano etc. He could study how comics show movement (lines behind a person running etc)

Random idea: he could make one of those victorian toys where you spin it and the scene moves - zoetropes

For context, i chose the theme "diary" when i did my gcse. The obvious choice that most people did was to make a diary and have a craft based final project. Instead, i drew interpretations of dreams from a dream diary i kept when i was a kid, and got an A*.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.56%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.94%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.38%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (31)
9.69%
Financial worries (22)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.94%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.5%

Watched Threads