RAF medical and BMI Watch

Jammersp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all,
Just worked out my BMI IS 25.8, is this likely to be okay?
I have heard there is an upper range limit of 28, although 18-25 is normal and preferred, and 26-30 is overweight but still okay if you haven't got any other medical issues?

Advice please?

Thanks
James
Surnia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The min and max requirements are on the RAF Recruitment website and your age needs to be taken into account:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/h...gibility-check
libbywwfc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You'll be fine, they are trialling higher BMI's at the minute anyway.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by libbywwfc)
You'll be fine, they are trialling higher BMI's at the minute anyway.
And what is the official source for this? When did the trial start? How long is it running for? What are the limits v age? Is it for male and/or female? Is it for all candidates or certain trades and branches? How is the information being used?

Actually, it doesn't matter. The RAF will publish information that applicants need to know and people should go by the eligibility requirements that are on the website.
Jammersp
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks to all who responded, on checking the criteria it appears I'm fine!
Cheers
Fast74
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Surnia)
And what is the official source for this? When did the trial start? How long is it running for? What are the limits v age? Is it for male and/or female? Is it for all candidates or certain trades and branches? How is the information being used?

Actually, it doesn't matter. The RAF will publish information that applicants need to know and people should go by the eligibility requirements that are on the website.
Libbywwfc is right, there is a higher BMI trial happening at the moment. Don’t know details but I am sure Adam can add more information.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fast74)
Libbywwfc is right, there is a higher BMI trial happening at the moment. Don’t know details but I am sure Adam can add more information.
I'm not saying there isn't, but it's not helpful saying "there's a trial" with no other information. What is an applicant meant to go on? As I said, the requirements are online.
Fast74
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not saying there isn't, but it's not helpful saying "there's a trial" with no other information. What is an applicant meant to go on? As I said, the requirements are online.
Which is why I said I am sure Adam can add the required detail, as he will know. You may find some things not helpful on here but others will; providing they are not factually incorrect then I have no issue. I am not sure that the requirements online will change as it is a trial but at least people know that there is a trail and therefore can ask the question of their doctor during their medical.
libbywwfc
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
They won't publish the information online as it is a temporary trial and they still want the applicants to aim for the actual requirements - I know it is an actual thing as I am currently I trialist
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Fast74)
Which is why I said I am sure Adam can add the required detail, as he will know. You may find some things not helpful on here but others will; providing they are not factually incorrect then I have no issue. I am not sure that the requirements online will change as it is a trial but at least people know that there is a trail and therefore can ask the question of their doctor during their medical.
Publishing details on a chat forum with a limited audience won't help the vast majority of candidates, and that's dependent on what information the AFCOs have as it could rest solely with the medical side.

Applicants need to meet the published BMI requirements. If they are outside the limits, there are other factors considered and they will be told what the next action will be. How does knowing there's a trial affect that? What would be people be asking?
Fast74
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Already answered. Not wasting any more time with your comments on this subject.
Publishing details on a chat forum with a limited audience won't help the vast majority of candidates, and that's dependent on what information the AFCOs have as it could rest solely with the medical side.

Applicants need to meet the published BMI requirements. If they are outside the limits, there are other factors considered and they will be told what the next action will be. How does knowing there's a trial affect that? What would be people be asking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads