Milk left out for 4 hours Watch

Balackas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I got up early this morning and made breakfast which was cereal and left it after I’d made it so the milk would seep into the cereal which is how I like it nice and soggy. After I’d made it I went back to bed for a bit and unfortunately woke up 4 hours later! Just gone to see the cereal and it smells and looks fine but is it still safe to have? I’ve put it back in the fridge until I get confirmation either way! Would be such a waste to Chuck it though as is a large bowl... but don’t want to be poisoned though. Is it safe to consume? Thanks!
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
With milk, if it's off you can smell it. If it smells fine it is. To be extra sure you could swig a mouthful and taste it, again if it tastes fine then it is, obviously if it's bad spit it out and throw the rest away.
keptinside
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
With milk, if it's off you can smell it. If it smells fine it is. To be extra sure you could swig a mouthful and taste it, again if it tastes fine then it is, obviously if it's bad spit it out and throw the rest away.
This is how I spit my wine 24/7
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Balackas
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Thanks. I don’t think it smells any different but after some online research apparently bacteria can grow that you can’t see or smell in milk if it’s left out over 2 hours that can cause poisoning! I’m working tonight and it may be the last time I see everyone as for some staff it’s their final day and I don’t want to be funny or throwing up/ unable to make it. At the same time its such a waste throwing it and I really was looking forward to eating it so I’m in two minds. :confused:
Balackas
Rep:
?
***UPDATE*** I’ve eaten the WHOLE bowel. Smelt literally every spoonful and could only smell the cereal plus no lumps as far as I could tell. Milk was discoloured anyway due to cereal in it. I feel fine just now but i’d better not be ill as I am working this evening and it's the last time potentially I’ll see everyone as it’s the last day for many staff and I’ll be gutted if I’m sick whilst there or feel funny the rest of the day! I’ll update later if I’m still ok to do so. Thanks everyone for your help... I hope you are correct that I will be fine.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Milk doesn't go off that quickly. It goes off quicker at room temperature than it would if it was in the fridge, but you would still get all the signs of it being off. Think about when people didn't have fridges - they got fresh milk every day, but it was fine to drink for the 24 hours in between deliveries .
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Balackas)
Thanks. I don’t think it smells any different but after some online research apparently bacteria can grow that you can’t see or smell in milk if it’s left out over 2 hours that can cause poisoning! I’m working tonight and it may be the last time I see everyone as for some staff it’s their final day and I don’t want to be funny or throwing up/ unable to make it. At the same time its such a waste throwing it and I really was looking forward to eating it so I’m in two minds. :confused:
Try not to read things on the internet too much, there's a lot of stuff on there that's just hype to attract attention to their website.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
Depends on the ambient temperature. I would say it was a potential risk and I wouldnt have trusted woodys method. If it was really cold when it came out of the fridge maybe, but I dont think you can tell if its going to give you issues, just by sniff and smell. Bit in your tea or boiled maybe but I wouldnt be drinking glasses of it. Drinking milk that has gone bad is unpleasant for the after effects. You might be fine. If you arent then let us know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads