French student applying to Oxbridge, help? Watch

magz2001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I live in Sweden but attend a French school and expect to get around 16/20 on the French Baccalauréat. I've always had 18/20 in average on my report cards.

I'm preparing my application for 2020 entry ; I'm applying to study law (with european law probably) at undergraduate level first.

Here are my 5 UCAS university choices:
Oxford
LSE
UCL
KCL
Bristol

I just got my baccalauréat grades on the subjects French (writing) (14/20), French (speaking) (18/20), Sciences (15/20), and TPE (Group Project) (20/20). I am VERY disappointed and I'm worried these grades are not good enough for my university choices.

Any opinions? Any french student that got accepted to Oxford or such and that could help me out?
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by magz2001)
I live in Sweden but attend a French school and expect to get around 16/20 on the French Baccalauréat. I've always had 18/20 in average on my report cards.

I'm preparing my application for 2020 entry ; I'm applying to study law (with european law probably) at undergraduate level first.

Oxford
LSE
UCL
KCL
Bristol

I just got my baccalauréat grades on the subjects French (writing) (14/20), French (speaking) (18/20), Sciences (15/20), and TPE (Group Project) (20/20). I am VERY disappointed and I'm worried these grades are not good enough for my university choices.

Any opinions? Any french student that got accepted to Oxford or such and that could help me out?
I literally have no idea about anything to do with French qualifications, but this is what Oxford say:

France
French Baccalauréat or Option Internationale du Baccalauréat with an average score of 16 out of 20. Students applying for science subjects will be expected to have followed the science stream.

Remember, most people applying (in the UK at least), will have predicted grades over the entrance requirements.

Here is LSE's page for your reference: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/in...y-pages/france

Please remember that Law is one of the most competitive courses in the UK, and you have chosen 5 of the most competitive universities. I would also recommend applying to some 'safer' options, i.e. those whose entry requirements you exceed by at least 1 point.
jaxophonerennie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey there, I am at a French lycée in Beijing and am also applying for Oxbridge this year, possibly for History.

I have a few friends who have gotten into Oxbridge from the French system, and they’ve all generally had around 17-18 as a moyenne for their report cards, so you’re in a good range on that front.

However as we don’t have GCSEs to back up our academic achievement the main elements that they look at, at least in terms of national exams, according to what I’ve been told, are your results on the Épreuves anticipées and your predicted grades.

On the whole, most French students admitted to Oxbridge achieve above a 17-18 ish on their Bac, but given that it’s usually a relatively generous offer what matters more are your predicted grades, so if you can convince your teachers to predict you higher grades than the 16 you think you’re capable of then you might have a better chance.

As for the Épreuves anticipées, based on the people I know who have gotten in, just to give you a bit of context, they are a bit on the lower end, but they do consider your application holistically and with a good personal statement and an excellent reference you’d have a pretty good chance. Law is a particularly competitive course though, so the odds are against you no matter who you are.

I got quite lucky with my results, but I’m just worried that they won’t really be able to contextualise them given that they don’t see that many French applicants.

I hope my answer is of any use to you, but here’s the overall message (remember, this is all purely anecdotal): your moyenne is great, your predictions are a little lower than average, but with a little convincing you might be able to raise them a bit, and your results on the Épreuves anticipées will be enough for any uni other than Oxbridge for sure, and with enough work on the other aspects of your application I’m sure they’ll be fine. They look at many factors and they are just one of them.

I’m glad to see another French student applying, we shall go through the process together! Let me know if you’d like more info on my application/situation if you think it would help.

Good luck!

Oxford
LSE
UCL
KCL
Bristol

RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Oxford
LSE
UCL
KCL
Bristol

If you meet the entry requirements, apply. The LNAT will be key. Good luck.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads