How to learn to speak Irish? Watch

Ligretto Cowboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi! I’m trying to learn a new language, as in the title. Are there any useful tips that you might like to share as an Irish or as someone who speaks Irish? Eg, any recommendations for basic words, phrases. I love learning languages , so I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
NMCMcL
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Duolingo free from respective application stores as far as I'm aware
RockFlagandEagle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah the Duolingo course is quite good, but you should also supplement it with other stuff. I found there's a number of good lessons on youtube.
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you happen to live in Ireland/Northern Ireland, there are plenty of groups and classes in Irish available. There’s also Irish language programmes on RTE which I believe are available outside the island.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ligretto Cowboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by NMCMcL)
Duolingo free from respective application stores as far as I'm aware
(Original post by RockFlagandEagle)
Yeah the Duolingo course is quite good, but you should also supplement it with other stuff. I found there's a number of good lessons on youtube.
Thanks! Just downloaded the app, and also saw Hebrew in it which I’d like to learn as well. Thanks again!
Ligretto Cowboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by OctoberRain7)
If you happen to live in Ireland/Northern Ireland, there are plenty of groups and classes in Irish available. There’s also Irish language programmes on RTE which I believe are available outside the island.
Thanks. I’m not planning to live in Ireland but I’m visiting my cousins in Belfast, so would be great to surprise them.
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Ligretto Cowboy)
Thanks. I’m not planning to live in Ireland but I’m visiting my cousins in Belfast, so would be great to surprise them.
Oh right, I just assume that anyone who learns Irish is Irish as it’s not really useful except on a cultural level/if you happen to live in a Gaeltacht area.
Ligretto Cowboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by OctoberRain7)
Oh right, I just assume that anyone who learns Irish is Irish as it’s not really useful except on a cultural level/if you happen to live in a Gaeltacht area.
Yes. I’m not aiming for serious linguistic stuffs but just for fun as well as adding a new language. I find Irish language quite fascinating and it’s good to see people maintaining such a nice language.
TemiBallo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As mentioned by other users, duolingo is a good app if you want to learn basic irish (currently using it to learn chinese and keep up with french). The thing about Irish is that it is not widely spoken, (most speak english except in regions like connacht ), but it is compulsory for everyone to learn up till junior cert for most schools. Haven't learnt irish since primary yr 6 (live in the UK now) but remember it involved a lot of verbs and learning how to conjugate and form tenses. If you're learning for fun then try basic gender conjugations for ' I/ you/ she/ he ' and common action verbs such as to do, to go, to be, etc and basic idioms. The language is really nice but quite old and difficult to make sense of sometimes. Stick with it though and have fun !
Hi! I’m trying to learn a new language, as in the title. Are there any useful tips that you might like to share as an Irish or as someone who speaks Irish? Eg, any recommendations for basic words, phrases. I love learning languages , so I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Ligretto Cowboy
Rep:
?
Yes, some words just don’t make sense and even most of my Irish friends are speaking like as if it’s a foreign language. Would the app be a good source for catching up the accent as well because sometimes I don’t think I hear the voice clearly (or I might and it’s just that some alphabets are silent)? Thanks anyways.
(Original post by TemiBallo)
As mentioned by other users, duolingo is a good app if you want to learn basic irish (currently using it to learn chinese and keep up with french). The thing about Irish is that it is not widely spoken, (most speak english except in regions like connacht ), but it is compulsory for everyone to learn up till junior cert for most schools. Haven't learnt irish since primary yr 6 (live in the UK now) but remember it involved a lot of verbs and learning how to conjugate and form tenses. If you're learning for fun then try basic gender conjugations for ' I/ you/ she/ he ' and common action verbs such as to do, to go, to be, etc and basic idioms. The language is really nice but quite old and difficult to make sense of sometimes. Stick with it though and have fun !
TemiBallo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Haha yes , some words are silent , particularly those ending in ‘th’ But that’s made worse by the accent as us Irish people tend to not the letter t as much 😂. But I yh I think is good for a getting a feel of the accent or you could watch YouTubed videos on pronunciation/ accent . Hope that helps !
Yes, some words just don’t make sense and even most of my Irish friends are speaking like as if it’s a foreign language. Would the app be a good source for catching up the accent as well because sometimes I don’t think I hear the voice clearly (or I might and it’s just that some alphabets are silent)? Thanks anyways.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.18%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
56.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.29%

Watched Threads