Should I do university Watch

JAChr1sman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have 1 year left on my level 3 computing course, I’m not sure if I should go to uni to study law, computing or performing arts?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by JAChr1sman)
I have 1 year left on my level 3 computing course, I’m not sure if I should go to uni to study law, computing or performing arts?
What do you want to study? What future careers do you have in mind?
JAChr1sman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I honestly don’t know, I love movies and tv shows and I am very interested in that area but I always feel like its a waste of time as it could lead no where. Computing as I know it’s the future of the world and law because my dad is a lawyer. I’m honeslty just so confused on which path to take?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
What do you want to study? What future careers do you have in mind?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I honestly don’t know, I love movies and tv shows and I am very interested in that area but I always feel like its a waste of time as it could lead no where. Computing as I know it’s the future of the world and law because my dad is a lawyer. I’m honeslty just so confused on which path to take?
My advice is not to rush into going to university if you're just going to pick a course on a whim. Finance-wise, it's best not to use up your allocation of Student Finance until you're sure of the course you want to do.

If you need to take a gap year, then do so. Get work experience in the different careers that interest you, do more research (Prospects.ac.uk is a great website for careers advice and job profiles), and then you can make an informed decision.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No harm in taking a gap year to decide what you think is the best.
As someone who was in your exact situation, I did 2 years of Computer Science at college and loved it. Went to University, and the first year - which is to get everyone on the same level - was literally a repeat of my years in college. I became fed up and needed a change in my life.

So I went to do Media! And it's been the best change I've made.

Now, it may not necessarily be the same for you, but pick something you're interested in. If you're interested in Law, buckle down and get a jumpstart on it before you go to University. If you love movies, look at things like Media, Film Production, there's more than just 'Movie Studies'. Digital Film Production at Hallam lets you make News broadcasts, TV shows, Movies, so don't worry about only having one dimension to what you do.

Hope this helps a bit!
Joshua
JAChr1sman
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thank you I will do this
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
My advice is not to rush into going to university if you're just going to pick a course on a whim. Finance-wise, it's best not to use up your allocation of Student Finance until you're sure of the course you want to do.

If you need to take a gap year, then do so. Get work experience in the different careers that interest you, do more research (Prospects.ac.uk is a great website for careers advice and job profiles), and then you can make an informed decision.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It'll be best for you to genuinely find which of these you are passionate about and enjoy, than to rush into it. Believe me, its very difficult studying a course you hate and don't feel a passion for.

I'd recommend you also have a look at (degree) apprenticeships.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads