The Student Room Group

Possible to have dog, cat and bird at same time?

Hi there!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum as I am unsure what topic this would be. Feel free to change it if it’s wrong! :smile:

In the future after uni, I would really love to have pets!

Right now, I have an aquarium in my parent’s house, and I am probably going to get another one in my future house.

I’m also planning on getting a dog, most likely a Keeshond, but I also kinda want a cat, any breed, and bird as well, probably a parrot.

I just wanna ask if it’s possible to have all these pets at once? Obviously it definitely depends if I’m gonna even have the money lol, but if I do, would it be possible Care wise?

I know it would take A LOT more commitment and also I wanna ask if they will interact with each other fine? If I get a bird, I want a parrot so it’s not small enough for the dog or cat to fatally harm.

If it is possible, which order should I get which animal? Right now I am thinking of bird first, then cat and then dog?

I would really appreciate honest opinions and suggestions!

Thanks and live amazing lives! :smile:
Reply 1
A bird and a dog is a bad idea.
Original post by asdf789
Hi there!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum as I am unsure what topic this would be. Feel free to change it if it’s wrong! :smile:

In the future after uni, I would really love to have pets!

Right now, I have an aquarium in my parent’s house, and I am probably going to get another one in my future house.

I’m also planning on getting a dog, most likely a Keeshond, but I also kinda want a cat, any breed, and bird as well, probably a parrot.

I just wanna ask if it’s possible to have all these pets at once? Obviously it definitely depends if I’m gonna even have the money lol, but if I do, would it be possible Care wise?

I know it would take A LOT more commitment and also I wanna ask if they will interact with each other fine? If I get a bird, I want a parrot so it’s not small enough for the dog or cat to fatally harm.

If it is possible, which order should I get which animal? Right now I am thinking of bird first, then cat and then dog?

I would really appreciate honest opinions and suggestions!

Thanks and live amazing lives! :smile:
Reply 2
My sister has a bird and a dog and they get along just fine, growing up we also had a dog and a cat and they were really quite good together. Having said that it all really depends on the animals themselves some are nice natured towards other beings (animals/others) and some are not. You definately want to get the cat before the dog though as dog's are territorial and introducing a cat afterwards would probably cause your dog to not get along with the cat.
Probably not a great idea to get a bird with the cat around though all the cats we had when I was growing up always bought the carcases of the dead birds home. We had cats and fish and the cat always tried and even managed to get into the fishtank at times.
Cats and birds living together is a really bad idea.
The feline prey drive against birds and mice is usually too strong to overcome.
I work in petcare, over the month of June 2019 a few coworkers have been fired after cats fatally attacked four parrots, one myna bird and a duck.

Keeshound puppies that grow up with a cat, will usually get on well with felines.
But adult dogs with little experience living alongside smaller animals will often have a strong prey drive that could endanger a cat.
Few dogs will attack a birdcage placed in a position of height, most dogs get very confused after hearing a parrot speak.
It would be possible but you'd need enough space and time to keep them all happy. How they interact together depends more on the animals themselves than the order they're introduced.

Quick Reply

Latest