Worst Universities? Watch

Glimmerz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Anyone know the universities I should avoid or not go to?
Ameba
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends on you and what you want.

I went to Brighton's open day recently and I did not like it at all. I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. But a girl behind me was saying that she loved it. She like everything that I hated.

I would put that university in the list, but I'm sure someone will disagree. I just think people have different tastes. A university is a personal choice. A bad university to someone, may be a good university to someone else. Look around and see what you like and don't like by going to open days and campus tours.
Glimmerz
Rep:
?
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you like that uni personally?
(Original post by Ameba)
It depends on you and what you want.

I went to Brighton's open day recently and I did not like it at all. I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. But a girl behind me was saying that she loved it. She like everything that I hated.

I would put that university in the list, but I'm sure someone will disagree. I just think people have different tastes. A university is a personal choice. A bad university to someone, may be a good university to someone else. Look around and see what you like and don't like by going to open days and campus tours.
Ameba
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Glimmerz)
Just out of curiosity, why didn't you like that uni personally?
It just had a huge emphasis on being involved in parties (in the student union), and I'm just not the kind of person who likes parties. There probably were other things in the student union, but the main emphasis was on things like partying, and I just thought it would be super chaotic and distracting to live in an environment like that.

I really did not like the accommodation either. It felt very dull and cramped to me.

The required grades for my course were quite low (BBC), as well as the contact hours being very low. I doubt that they actually will support in the transition from college to university as much as other colleges will.

The student support and wellbeing team are quite small for such a seemingly large university. It was also run by students, which is just something I don't particularly prefer.

I like a more academic focus and Brighton just didn't match up to that. It might be relatively good, but it's not the university for me.
Glimmerz
Rep:
?
Yeah, if I were you I wouldn't have liked all that either lol.
(Original post by Ameba)
It just had a huge emphasis on being involved in parties (in the student union), and I'm just not the kind of person who likes parties. There probably were other things in the student union, but the main emphasis was on things like partying, and I just thought it would be super chaotic and distracting to live in an environment like that.

I really did not like the accommodation either. It felt very dull and cramped to me.

The required grades for my course were quite low (BBC), as well as the contact hours being very low. I doubt that they actually will support in the transition from college to university as much as other colleges will.

The student support and wellbeing team are quite small for such a seemingly large university. It was also run by students, which is just something I don't particularly prefer.

I like a more academic focus and Brighton just didn't match up to that. It might be relatively good, but it's not the university for me.
Salostar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The worst university is the one that is the least suited for you.
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
UCLan
keptinside
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Burningham University
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oxbridge
Tantric Vibe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As someone says above, it depends on what you want to do.

However, as a general answer, try and avoid anywhere that recruits rather than selects. That is the safest rule to go by.

Secondly, if they are at the botton of the Times/Guardian list, they are there for a reason. However, that said, being near the bottom of the list does not mean that the teaching is poor or that all the students are awful. It really is a matter of proportion. You can be at a Russell Group University and be next to an idiot and taught by an intellectual pigmy. Likewise, you can be at a lowly institution and sat next to one of the best, because they wished to be near home and liked small group teaching, and be taught be an excellent teacher.

That said, avoid the following like the plague:

University of Bolton
Manchester Metropolitan University.

Why? The morale amongst the staff is lower than a snake's belly and the whole university operation is designed just to get as much money out of the students as possible. Don't kiss,... just avoid.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Whichever I missed/ got rejected by
XOR_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Whichever ones I don't/I didn't go to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed