3 hours notice before shifts Watch

cameronx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
My work place is quite unprofessional we’re understaffed and overworked and tons of new workers have come and gone in the past months Iv been there. The staff barely respect me and worst off I don’t get told my shifts until the week of. In some cases there are times I don’t get told until 3 hours before like today and I’m going to be working until about 12 probably. Isn’t this a bit unprofessional and out of order. I had made plans for tonight and told a couple days ago I was working on Sunday and heard nothing since. I want to quit honestly, what should I do?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by cameronx)
My work place is quite unprofessional we’re understaffed and overworked and tons of new workers have come and gone in the past months Iv been there. The staff barely respect me and worst off I don’t get told my shifts until the week of. In some cases there are times I don’t get told until 3 hours before like today and I’m going to be working until about 12 probably. Isn’t this a bit unprofessional and out of order. I had made plans for tonight and told a couple days ago I was working on Sunday and heard nothing since. I want to quit honestly, what should I do?
Find another job obviously and enjoy handing your notice in. Not sure what you want its obvious they dont think about you or it doesnt suit, which means people would look for an alternative.
cameronx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Find another job obviously and enjoy handing your notice in. Not sure what you want its obvious they dont think about you or it doesnt suit, which means people would look for an alternative.
Thanks, I just needed that push and to know I'm not overreacting or anything. No job, especially part time, is going to be perfect but it'll probably be a lot better than what I have now
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Definitely find another job! What does it say in your contract about notice for shifts?
cameronx
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Definitely find another job! What does it say in your contract about notice for shifts?
The notice period is two weeks so not too bad
999tigger
Report 5 days ago
Thanks, I just needed that push and to know I'm not overreacting or anything. No job, especially part time, is going to be perfect but it'll probably be a lot better than what I have now
Check with the new job it is less random and more predictable. Obviously a lot of jobs especially for students are 0 hour.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The notice period is two weeks so not too bad
Sorry, I wasn't clear! I meant does your contract say anything about how much notice your company has to give you regarding when you are working?
cameronx
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Sorry, I wasn't clear! I meant does your contract say anything about how much notice your company has to give you regarding when you are working?
It doesn't really mention anything which I know means they're technically doing nothing wrong but in the past they have messaged me at least a couple days before shifts so they're capable of doing so
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Standard working time regulations say there needs to be at least 11 hours between shifts, so that's always a card to play if you're constantly on call (when your job isn't an on-call position). If you've signed an opt-out to the 48 hour working week, then you can retract that by giving a week's notice or whatever your contract stipulates.

I used to be in this spot myself. In the end I just left. There's far less headache in finding a new job than putting up with being treated poorly.
anonymous1231231
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
In both my old jobs, the latest I'd be told about a shift was 2 days. Generally you're told a week-ish early.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 22 hours ago
Absolutely unprofessional. Sometimes my work rota doesn't get posted until the Saturday afternoon for shifts starting on the Monday which gives none of the staff any chance to make plans for the week ahead. It's ridiculous how much of a double standard these situations end up being - staff are expected to give plenty of notice when they want to book holiday or time off yet we're expected to wait around for rotas. We're expected to respect the company's needs but are shown little respect in return.

If you've got things planned and they suddenly notify you of a shift with 3 hours notice, tell them you can't work it. They're not going to like it but you need to start standing up for yourself otherwise you'll get taken advantage of time after time. Your whole life shouldn't be put on hold for a part time job.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 22 hours ago
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 22 hours ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Absolutely unprofessional. Sometimes my work rota doesn't get posted until the Saturday afternoon for shifts starting on the Monday which gives none of the staff any chance to make plans for the week ahead. It's ridiculous how much of a double standard these situations end up being - staff are expected to give plenty of notice when they want to book holiday or time off yet we're expected to wait around for rotas. We're expected to respect the company's needs but are shown little respect in return.

If you've got things planned and they suddenly notify you of a shift with 3 hours notice, tell them you can't work it. They're not going to like it but you need to start standing up for yourself otherwise you'll get taken advantage of time after time. Your whole life shouldn't be put on hold for a part time job.

If it's 3 hours notice then presumably you're being told by text or email or something.

Personally I would just claim that I didn't see it, and if they started making a fuss I'd say you should have sent it with more than 3 hours notice as not everyone is glued to their phones or has their email open 24/7
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 22 hours ago
(Original post by ANM775)
If it's 3 hours notice then presumably you're being told by text or email or something.

Personally I would just claim that I didn't see it, and if they started making a fuss I'd say you should have sent it with more than 3 hours notice as not everyone is glued to their phones or has their email open 24/7
This is what I do hahaha my manager tried to phone me twice yesterday and I just ignored it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed