This is stressing me out!!!! Biomedical science to medicine? How cn i do it! Watch

Izzyali51
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi,
My question for this dilemma is how can I get into medicine with biomedical science! I just finished my 2 years of BTEC Extended diploma level 3 in Applied science as I had no other alternatives due to the sixth form requirements as from their saying I can’t do a level as I had a grade 3 in English language. But my other subjects are all above 4/C and I got B’s in all sciences.

I don’t understand what I can do to get into medicine as I am very passionate and enthusiastic about this! I am willing even to take 10 years if is needed to become a doctor. You know I want to make my parents proud as well as achieving one of my biggest dream. Anyone there know how to help me😭😭😭
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
did you resit your english language? i'm not sure how it works if i'm honest. maybe speak to unis?
Izzyali51
Rep:
?
My sixth form told me I’m not elegible for it as I got a 4 in literature
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Izzyali51)
... i am very passionate and enthusiastic about this! I am willing even to take 10 years if is needed to become a doctor.
Why lol.

I assume you have looked at biomedical degrees which take BTECs. Some allow a transfer into medicine, although that is often ultra - competitive. Otherwise, complete it and try graduate entry medicine. I would check GEM entry requirements now to ensure they don't need English language GCSE. Might be worth a retake.
Izzyali51
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Why lol.

I assume you have looked at biomedical degrees which take BTECs. Some allow a transfer into medicine, although that is often ultra - competitive. Otherwise, complete it and try graduate entry medicine. I would check GEM entry requirements now to ensure they don't need English language GCSE. Might be worth a retake.
This is why I chose biomedical science as it was an alternative. But yet for English is a problem rn I blame the sixth form not even gonna lie. Firstly, they didn’t allow me to do a-level, secondly they didn’t even let me do an a level biology along my BTEC, tertiary they didn’t even let me retake my English. Basically they screwed me up 🙄😭
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Can you retake your English privately?
Izzyali51
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Can you retake your English privately?
The private tutors have given me a quote of 1200£
stabilo20619
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Graduate entry medicine.
Izzyali51
Rep:
?
(Original post by stabilo20619)
Graduate entry medicine.
Even with an English language at a grade 3?
jzdzm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Some places require English language at C or above (e.g. Swansea) others don't look at GCSE grades at all (e.g. Newcastle). Concentrate on doing as well as possible in your biomed degree to have the best possible chance to get into GEM after.

On the other hand, if you can find the funds / persuade your 6th form to let you resit your English, you could look for courses that would accept your BTEC (maybe one of the foundation year courses? I don't know much about this area) and this would be much cheaper and possibly easier in the long run.
Even with an English language at a grade 3?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
That is ridiculous. SHop around for Adult Learning courses or online courses and it whould cost you no more than a few hundred pounds max (are you over 19 yet, as this opens even more opportunites?). You could even do this alongside A levels. Or see if a different 6th form college would let you apply with your grades and resit English
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You don’t need private tutors book the exam directly with an exam centre that’ll take you and then self study
Izzyali51
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
That is ridiculous. SHop around for Adult Learning courses or online courses and it whould cost you no more than a few hundred pounds max (are you over 19 yet, as this opens even more opportunites?). You could even do this alongside A levels. Or see if a different 6th form college would let you apply with your grades and resit English
Trust me I got shook when they gave me the quote. I ain’t rich at all so I couldn’t afford it. I spoke to collages, but they are like you finished now go to do uni etc... nobody is letting me apply for the resit as they all say no which is putting me low esteemed
Izzyali51
Rep:
?
(Original post by jzdzm)
Some places require English language at C or above (e.g. Swansea) others don't look at GCSE grades at all (e.g. Newcastle). Concentrate on doing as well as possible in your biomed degree to have the best possible chance to get into GEM after.

On the other hand, if you can find the funds / persuade your 6th form to let you resit your English, you could look for courses that would accept your BTEC (maybe one of the foundation year courses? I don't know much about this area) and this would be much cheaper and possibly easier in the long run.
I’m long finished with my sixth form as I brought in even my cousins to persuade them to let me resit but apparently they don’t hv the fundings for it neither they are allowed to resit cuz I have a 4 in literature
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Trust me I got shook when they gave me the quote. I ain’t rich at all so I couldn’t afford it. I spoke to collages, but they are like you finished now go to do uni etc... nobody is letting me apply for the resit as they all say no which is putting me low esteemed
Just google adult learning English GCSE, there are loads of courses, or even online learning
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
57.02%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.33%

Watched Threads