Barely Living Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I've had depression for around 10 years now and it won't go away. I tried counselling and it didn't help and I don't want to talk about it to anyone. I'm 18 but I feel 40, time has been going so slowly. I thought I would be dead by now so I didn't really put much thought into my future but now I'm still alive and now I'm panicking. I want to go uni, and have all the right grades, but what am I going to do after uni? I don't want to commit suicide because it's against my religion and mum will be upset and all the money she spent on me for clothes..etc will be all for nothing. yh I don't really know what I should do next.
istanden
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
maybe a different type of therapy such as dbt or psychodynamic therapy? also maybe medication could help. the change of uni might also be great for you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by istanden; 3 days ago
Anonymous #1
therapy costs money, which is mainly why I'm depressed in the first place. I'm poor. and to get medication I have to go to a doctor, and I don't want to tell anyone. I've also heard medication for depression has tons of side effects. I'm not going to a uni, but will start this September.
(Original post by istanden)
maybe a different type of therapy such as dbt or psychodynamic therapy? also maybe medication could help. the change of uni might also be great for you.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
therapy costs money, which is mainly why I'm depressed in the first place. I'm poor. and to get medication I have to go to a doctor, and I don't want to tell anyone. I've also heard medication for depression has tons of side effects. I'm not going to a uni, but will start this September.
Do you live in the UK?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Don't want to see a GP and therapy too expensive, oh well guess you can buy a dog.
Anonymous #1
dogs are expensive and require care. if I can't even take care of myself, how am I supposed to care for a dog? my friend has a pet, and it's £400 for a check up at the vets. no way.
(Original post by random_matt)
Don't want to see a GP and therapy too expensive, oh well guess you can buy a dog.
Anonymous #1
yup
(Original post by Pathway)
Do you live in the UK?
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
yup
You can get therapy for free in the UK on the NHS. Providing you're 16 or older then you are entitled to confidentiality. Seek help, don't suffer in silence.

Also, I'm sure your mum will care about you if you were to take your life, more than some clothes she bought you. If she cares more about material objects than her own child, she is not a mother.
istanden
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
if you’re not willing to try or to speak to someone there’s no chance of you getting better. the numerous success stories of antidepressants should be encouraging - and if ur getting adverse side effects then you tell ur dr and u try a new drug. there’s so many out there.
if you don’t try things won’t change.
istanden
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
also, a lot of unis offer free counselling and you can access that in just a few months.
SillyFish
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I've had depression for around 10 years now and it won't go away. I tried counselling and it didn't help and I don't want to talk about it to anyone. I'm 18 but I feel 40, time has been going so slowly. I thought I would be dead by now so I didn't really put much thought into my future but now I'm still alive and now I'm panicking. I want to go uni, and have all the right grades, but what am I going to do after uni? I don't want to commit suicide because it's against my religion and mum will be upset and all the money she spent on me for clothes..etc will be all for nothing. yh I don't really know what I should do next.
My brother struggles with depression and has dropped out of uni after one year, and I wish he had realised it wouldn't work for him sooner. Maybe before you go reevaluate how ready you are for the academic and financial pressure, living alone or away from home, being in a new social environment... You may be academically capable but you don't have to go to uni right away unless you are in a good place and you want to.
He's now on the way to getting an IT apprenticeship, he works pretty much every day and and intelligent as he is, this works out for him better. Don't be afraid to think outside the uni box!
Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads