Boost my grades Watch

OkDan_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, I'm in Year 10 and I start Year 11 at September, obviously.

My current grades are OKAY at the moment, but I really want to improve my grades.

English Language - 4
English Literature - 5
Maths - 6
Business Studies - 6
Creative iMedia - 6
French - 5
Biology - 2
Chemistry - 4
Physics - 5

I am aiming for grade 7-9s for all of my subjects, so can you guys provide me with tips on how I can boost my grades.
Last edited by OkDan_; 1 week ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Since I don't do some of the subjects you do, I cannot tell you tips for those and I won't be able to tell boost your grades for the ones I didn't get 7-9s in.

However, for maths, do practice questions and papers - after understanding the concept of the topic, always do questions to get a firm understanding as the only way you can fully understand is to know how to apply it various of ways. If you're stuck, don't be afraid to ask your teachers as they are the best resources to explain it to you in a way you can grasp.

For French, what exam board do you do?

For all the sciences, I cannot stress enough how important it is to know the practicals because there will always be questions about it. So I suggest that you know the methods as it's likely that the question will be asking you about your knowledge of the method but also you should think of improvement the variables and etc to the practical. Furthermore, do past papers as they sometimes use questions from past papers or something similar so if you do multiple, you know the mark scheme in your head to get those easy marks. Since I did combined science synergy, I can't give you specific tips for each subject but you should use the specification to find out what you need to know and what is your weakness so you can improve it. Flashcards for formulas you need to know are a good revision technique to drill that info in your head so you don't need to worry about remembering the formulas in your head and focus more on the content.
OkDan_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Since I don't do some of the subjects you do, I cannot tell you tips for those and I won't be able to tell boost your grades for the ones I didn't get 7-9s in.

However, for maths, do practice questions and papers - after understanding the concept of the topic, always do questions to get a firm understanding as the only way you can fully understand is to know how to apply it various of ways. If you're stuck, don't be afraid to ask your teachers as they are the best resources to explain it to you in a way you can grasp.

For French, what exam board do you do?

For all the sciences, I cannot stress enough how important it is to know the practicals because there will always be questions about it. So I suggest that you know the methods as it's likely that the question will be asking you about your knowledge of the method but also you should think of improvement the variables and etc to the practical. Furthermore, do past papers as they sometimes use questions from past papers or something similar so if you do multiple, you know the mark scheme in your head to get those easy marks. Since I did combined science synergy, I can't give you specific tips for each subject but you should use the specification to find out what you need to know and what is your weakness so you can improve it. Flashcards for formulas you need to know are a good revision technique to drill that info in your head so you don't need to worry about remembering the formulas in your head and focus more on the content.
Thank you for these tips and the exam board I do for French is: AQA. (:
PetitePanda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No problem . Yayyy you did the same exam board as me, I'll break it down into reading, listening, writing and speaking.

For speaking, since there are 3 parts: the photo card, general conversation and the role play. For the photo card and roleplay, focus on the exam techniques to answer these as I can tell you, in the exam, you'll have less time than you think you do. For the photo card, we did PALMS for the first question so 3-5 sentences about it depending on how you want to answer it. P - people, A - action, L- location, M - mood, s - season/weather: E.g. In the picture, there are 3 girls and 2 boys. Inside, they are playing video games. They are enjoying the game together (You don't have to include S but it does apply in some photo cards) - this gives you simple sentences, which you can speak about but spontaneously and constantly. If you get a question asking what you did (past), I suggest you answer it like a story so you begin with the start then lead up to the next event with a connective like puis or apres ca then finish it with the end to focus more on the content but seem like you're speaking like a conversation. If it asks you about what you will do (future), make it seem like a plan like what will you wanna do in the future and how it links together. If there's a explain question, make sure you have both positive and negative reasons. REMEMBER DONT MAKE IT TOO COMPLICATED AS YOU HAVE LIMITED OF TIME TO PLAN AND SPEAK THIS YOU CAN SHOW YOUR HIGH-LEVEL TECHNIQUE IN THE WRITING. For the role play, I would put a lot of exclamation marks near it so you can know it's the unknown question when they ask you about it. For the question, always make it about the word but use these question starters like as-tu (do you? informal if its a friend/family) or avez-vous (if it's informal) - e.g. do you play football?; you could also say aimes-tu/ aimez-vous - e.g. do you like to chat with your friends?. If it tells you to write two details, then write 2 details in 1 sentence about it; if it tells you to write 1 reason, write 1 sentence with 1 reason and so on. But DONT OVERCOMPLICATE IT KEEP IT SIMPLE. The general conversation you get to choose 2 out of 3 themes to talk about - my teacher gave me a list of questions to write about and I picked 4 for each theme. She gave me the 2 themes I wanted but you don't know till the exam so focus on the 2 themes you want to do but also prepare for the other theme in case (if you have time). I wrote 1-2 small paragraphs for each question in that theme and I constantly memorised it throughout my French GCSE course so it's in my head - I did this through flashcards and broke it down into sentences of each question. DONT FORGET TO ASK ONLY 1 QUESTION IN YOUR GENERAL CONVERSATION!!!!

For reading, I memorised the words in the specifications so I know what the question or text was talking about. I did this by making little pieces of paper with the French word on one side and the other side was with the English meaning and I put it into a box so I read it every day and take out the ones I knew definitely each day.

For listening, I would practice through papers and questions because it goes so fast and it helps to hear it bit by bit instead of all at once. It will help you understand the words they say bit by bit so you won't be confused in the real exam.

For writing, I would do the translation first so when I do the rest, if I remember a word I forgot about, it can jog my memory up (also the box thingy for the reading helped for this). Do it sentence by sentence so you can focus on it instead of it overall. In this, this is where you can highlight your high-grade structures or words. I suggest you get the tenses hands down confirmed because this is a big part about it. Add sentence starters, good reasoning, good intensifiers and even fancy expressions like its not my cup of tea or it's my guilty pleasure or its deathly boring. remember if it's a why question, add some negatives as well. In the 150 word question, if it asks you what you did in the past or future, make it into a story/plan.

Also, read the question and mark by it either Past, Present or Future so you know what the question is asking which tense you need to write/speak in.
(Original post by OkDan_)
Thank you for these tips and the exam board I do for French is: AQA. (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.68%
No I am happy with my course choice (518)
59.13%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.5%

Watched Threads