What are graduate prospects in computer science? Watch

Paolo3100
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
If someone were to graduate from the university of leeds in computer science with a 2:1 or 1st would they have good employement prospects?
Would they be able to get a job from FAANG especially google or facebook after 2 or 3 years of experience within the tech industry?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It'll help you to apply for more graduate opportunities and will get you more interviews, but your prospects in terms of actually being hired depend on your skills and how well you're able to demonstrate your ability to an interviewer. Interviewers will ask a lot of challenging questions to probe your problem solving ability as well as the depth of your technical understanding, so it's how well you perform in those situations which will convince an interviewer of your potential and make them decide to offer the job.

What you do over the next 3 years at university in terms of making the most of the opportunities to learn and build your skills will be important, studying with the intention of really understanding the subject in depth, practise so that you can think your way around difficult problems, and build confidence with your technical ability, because that will help prepare you for going out to find work and more likely to help you grow into the kind of person that employers are looking for when they're hiring graduates.

That goes just as much for the really big companies as it does for smaller ones, although the bar is much higher but the thing which makes a difference really boils down to individual ability, so often the people who are most likely to succeed are those who have also spent a lot of their own time taking an active interest in exploring the subject, challenging themselves to solve difficult problems, etc.

One positive with Leeds as well as other large cities is that there's a busy tech scene/community with a lot of great tech companies in the area, and loads of tech events and meetup groups which you might be interested in being involved with - it can help to find out about things like local tech talks and meetups (those sorts of things are usually organised by the university as well as employers in the area), then become involved in those.
Last edited by winterscoming; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads