The Student Room Group

Is a high 2.1 from Oxford competitive for Vac Schemes?

So I got a high 2.1 (68) in my first year, at Oxford. I am so disappointed, I wanted a first.

Will this be competitive when applying to firms? I got a 62 in one module:/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jejehe
So I got a high 2.1 (68) in my first year, at Oxford. I am so disappointed, I wanted a first.

Academics wise, you shouldn't be worried.
Reply 2
IMO you should be. You only got a 2:1 in Oxford? What happened?
Original post by jejehe

There's a troll... in the dungeon...
Reply 4
I’m not a troll at all guys. It was a serious question.
How can you end up with only a high 2:1 at Oxford? Tut tut, no magic circle for you. Seriously though, if you're intelligent enough to end up with such a grade (in first year) at one of the best universities in the world, I suspect you're also intelligent enough not to ask plainly obvious question.
Reply 6
Well I know the bar is ridiculously competitive. So will the very top US/MC law firms be, so I don’t think it’s unfair for me to question whether or not my grades will put me in good stead.
Original post by jejehe
I’m not a troll at all guys. It was a serious question.

Some people wont be able to take you seriously for obvious reasons.
You won't be held back by your academics - but there's a lot more to it than that. Interview technique and commercial awareness will be crucial.
Original post by jejehe
Well I know the bar is ridiculously competitive. So will the very top US/MC law firms be, so I don’t think it’s unfair for me to question whether or not my grades will put me in good stead.

How many in your year and the year above scored higher than you? Is there more to your cv / application.
Have you checked they will take first years?
it won't hurt you but keep in mind hardly anyone gets below a 2:1 at oxford
Original post by 999tigger
How many in your year and the year above scored higher than you? Is there more to your cv / application.
Have you checked they will take first years?

hardly anyone gets below a 2:1 at oxford
Original post by Baron of Sealand
it won't hurt you but keep in mind hardly anyone gets below a 2:1 at oxford

conversely, I doubt more than 20% get 68%+.
hardly anyone gets below a 2:1 at oxford

Thats why firms take marks rather than just grades.
Original post by Palmyra
conversely, I doubt more than 20% get 68%+.

doesn't contradict what i said, and I think you're overestimating the effects of a few percentage points. 2:1 gets you through the door and you'll need to do more than just grades to get a placement
doesn't contradict what i said, and I think you're overestimating the effects of a few percentage points. 2:1 gets you through the door and you'll need to do more than just grades to get a placement

The implication of what you wrote is that all 2.1s are equal and that his 2.1 is average, whilst in reality it is a high 2.1 and that does make a difference for many law firms (of course not sufficient in and of itself but definitely a factor).
so you have the actual figures of the people getting more than 68% in their first year at oxford, or is this one of those scenarios where when you point your finger at me, 3 of your fingers are pointing back at you
(edited 4 years ago)
so you have the actual figures of the people getting more than 68% in their first year at oxford, or is this one of those scenarios where when you point your finger at me, 3 of your fingers are pointing back at you

In my first year at Cambridge the cut-off point for the top 25% of grades was 66-67% (for law).
Original post by Palmyra
In my first year at Cambridge the cut-off point for the top 25% of grades was 66-67% (for law).

Oxford gives out the second-most firsts in the country while Cambridge is at No 6. I don't know about law specifically but the 2 are not the same. Cambridge's overall statistics might even be higher because of the sciences (which give out more firsts). Law's national average is at like 14% firsts so it's not too much of a stretch to think Oxford could actually be awarding more than 20% since its overall firsts rate is so much higher than the national average.
2:1 doesn't allow you to satisfy the requirement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending