getting a car Watch

tvshowaddict2112
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
im 18 in September and im late to driving.

ive had 10 previous house of experiance from November and am hoping to start up again soon.

I predict to be driving by the end of January, however next september I am going to uni far away, where I wont be able to afford to have a car.

is it worth buying a car to use for less than 8 months?

I mean after my 3 years of uni I could just take some refresher lessons and buy a car when im able to.

I would only use it for going to school and getting to work when I get a job.

is there much point in wasting my money when I would still be able to get to school and work without one?

the only reason I want a car is because I have waiting hours for my parents to pick me up after school, especially on days that I finish early and by having a car I would be able to look at jobs further away as my town isn't really hiring at the moment.

as well as this I don't feel that it is fair to rely on my parents and so I hope that by having a car I would gain some more inderpendence and confidence.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You could always go to your nearest reputable car auction. Buy something cheap to insure and that will be legal on the road (MOT, legal tyres etc) for £200 or less. Sell it to someone in the year below you or to a scrapyard when you want rid of it.

Your biggest single cost will be insurance. So you might an well keep it for a year. Drive very safely and build up 1 years no claims bonus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads