Period Sex Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi guys,
So me and my boyfriend had sex today and he wasn’t wearing a condom and he cummed. I’m on my period at the moment but I finish it tomorrow. Can I get pregnant?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys,
So me and my boyfriend had sex today and he wasn’t wearing a condom and he cummed. I’m on my period at the moment but I finish it tomorrow. Can I get pregnant?
So you had completely unprotected sex - you aren't on the pill or anything? There's a good chance of pregnancy. You can get pregnant at any point in your cycle. Sperm can survive for up to 5 days inside a vagina, so yes there's a chance you could get pregnant. You need to go to a pharmacy and get the morning after pill. If you don't want to get pregnant, then you need to use condoms or another form of contraception. Have you both been tested for STDs as well?
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As DTL says, that's really risky. You should take the 'morning after' pill ASAP.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contra...contraception/
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contra...contraception/
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
We both don’t have STIs and both been tested
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
So you had completely unprotected sex - you aren't on the pill or anything? There's a good chance of pregnancy. You can get pregnant at any point in your cycle. Sperm can survive for up to 5 days inside a vagina, so yes there's a chance you could get pregnant. You need to go to a pharmacy and get the morning after pill. If you don't want to get pregnant, then you need to use condoms or another form of contraception. Have you both been tested for STDs as well?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Apachecow
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Whilst I don't condone unprotected sex and there is a risk of pregnancy, in real terms the risk is very small indeed. If the OP's cycle is a normal length (28 days) then she is safe while still bleeding. I have a few friends using period tracking and temperature taking apps as their only means of birth control and they seem to work very well.

Yes consider other risks (STDs) and consider pregnancy but lets put it in context. If I was you (and a woman) I'd not take MAP
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
We both don’t have STIs and both been tested
Okay, that was only a side concern. What about the other things I said?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Apachecow)
Whilst I don't condone unprotected sex and there is a risk of pregnancy, in real terms the risk is very small indeed. If the OP's cycle is a normal length (28 days) then she is safe while still bleeding. I have a few friends using period tracking and temperature taking apps as their only means of birth control and they seem to work very well.

Yes consider other risks (STDs) and consider pregnancy but lets put it in context. If I was you (and a woman) I'd not take MAP
A woman is never "safe" from pregnancy at any point in her cycle. There are too many risks and uncertainties, even with the most regular of cycles. I really want to stress that using cycle tracking as birth control is incredibly, incredibly risky and should not be used. Your friends have been lucky. There is absolutely no excuse to not use condoms or other contraception. In this day and age, there are so many to choose from.

Things like early ovulation, late ovulation, sperm surviving inside the vagina for up to 5 days etc. are totally unpredictable so the OP really need to use condoms or get on some other form of contraception. She had totally unprotected sex, so she really should take the MAP to be on the safe side. For me as a woman, the risk of unprotected sex at any point in my cycle is too high for comfort. This is why I'm saying all of this (not attacking you, just trying to make OP realise how dangerous it is to have unprotected sex when she isn't trying to get pregnant). I see it so often on here, young girls crying on a thread about how they're pregnant and how shocked they are because they had unprotected sex but thought it was alright etc etc. It's really disheartening to see the lack of sex education, so I'm writing this also to help any other young girls who may be in the same situation or who are thinking of having unprotected sex.
Last edited by DrawTheLine; 5 days ago
Apachecow
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
A woman is never "safe" from pregnancy at any point in her cycle.

For me as a woman, the risk of unprotected sex at any point in my cycle is too high for comfort.
I did my masters in reproduction, I can assure you there are safe times in the cycle. With a normal length cycle and maximum sperm survival pregnancy at this point in the cycle is impossible. Only with irregular cycles would there be a risk.

If we are here offering advice to worried people then we should try and be as correct as possible in terms of the science not your gut feelings as a woman?

I quite agree that the OP should consider contraception options much more carefully, as this could go very wrong at a different time in the cycle when the pregnancy risk is greater.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Apachecow)
I did my masters in reproduction, I can assure you there are safe times in the cycle. With a normal length cycle and maximum sperm survival pregnancy at this point in the cycle is impossible. Only with irregular cycles would there be a risk.

If we are here offering advice to worried people then we should try and be as correct as possible in terms of the science not your gut feelings as a woman?

I quite agree that the OP should consider contraception options much more carefully, as this could go very wrong at a different time in the cycle when the pregnancy risk is greater.
OP hasn't said what her cycle is like, hence my initial comment about there being a chance of pregnancy. Even a woman who typically has a clockwork cycle, that one time she has unprotected sex could be the one time her cycle goes a bit whacky. In my opinion, it is just safer to always have protected sex no matter where you are in your cycle than risk an unwanted pregnancy, regardless of what science says. I could go to the best, most knowledgeable doctor on this matter and they could tell me I could have unprotected sex and not get pregnant, and I still wouldn't because of those "what ifs" and all the risks.

We can only be so certain of things when we don't know the ins and outs of the OP's cycle, so it's better to err on the side of caution and say it's better to be safe than sorry, especially in future. Hopefully OP is reading and taking into consideration everything we are saying so she can make better decisions in future.
Daveuk2019
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hi guys,
no you wouldn't
its pure science
enjoy
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Daveuk2019)
no you wouldn't
its pure science
enjoy
This is simply incorrect.

While it's much less likely it's totally possible to get pregnant as a result of having sex at any point in your cycle, largely due to sperm surviving for days inside the female body and variation in mensural cycles/fertility.

If you don't want to get pregnant use a condom or a form of long-term form of contraception.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...-has-finished/
--
Just to add to DTL and Apachecow's conversation.

Fertility awareness approaches to contraception work very very well; as long as the user is theoretically and practically knowledgable, organised and their cycle plays ball. So it works perfectly as long as these requirements are met and nothing changes. The other big factor is of course STI's so the other caveat is where both/all partners have had an up-to-date sexual health check and remain monogamous.

These are high requirements that I'd argue the vast majority of young people/people can't meet or at least can't guarantee, so I wouldn't recommend such an approach to contraception. If someone does want to take this approach to contraception: talk to your doctor first.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contra...mily-planning/
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/
Last edited by JTfoxlove; 1 day ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads